The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: P0300 2001 V6

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

P0300 2001 V6

Hi,

I have a 2001 Galant LS V6 with a little over 60k miles. I've noticed it idleing funny every now and then but nothing major. Today, I went to start it and the SES light came on (1st time ever) and returned P0300. I read in the other posts it could be many things. I am no mechanic but I do trust the local one. This is where I'll be taking the car for my oil change as well as this issue. With everything that it could be, how do they know what to fix or start with first? Should they start with the plugs, coils, timing belt? Also, since I work in IT I will not attempt to perform any work on my car. I'm just wondering what to expect. I like that I'm getting educated on the code so I know what to discuss with my mechanic.

Thanks.

edit: I forgot when I lifted the trunk it looked like there was no coolant - of course I added some - not sure if that could be a root cause.

Quote Originally Posted by isjka View Post
    edit: I forgot when I lifted the trunk it looked like there was no coolant - of course I added some - not sure if that could be a root cause.
    So you open the trunk to check the coolant level
    Last edited by rez887; 05-13-2008 at 08:49 PM

Quote Originally Posted by rez887 View Post
    So you open the trunk to check the coolant level
    yeah the coolant level in his water cooled sub/amp system.........didnt u know that!?!?!?!

Uh, sorry, meant hood not trunk. There was no coolant present at all from what I was able to see.

I should also ask whether or not you all feel it's safe to drive to the mechanic which is about 10 miles away.

Thanks.

i would just get it towed to prevent any new problems ^

It's at the mechanic now. They told me the P0300 could be many things, and it appears to be true based off my searching of prior posts with this same code. They even mentioned resetting it to see if it comes on again. Not sure what will happen - I am waiting a call back. I do know the idleing seemed high when in park so my first inclination was the timing belt but I'm not sure. I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks.

po300- Random/Multiple missfire. Change your plugs, or you might have a head gasket leak if there was no coolant left which would foul out your plugs!

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

The mechanic told me that there needs to be a PCM update from Mitsu on my car. In addtion I was told that they can replace my spark plugs, ignition, and intake gasket.

From what they were able to tell, there was nothing major pointing them to a problem. Looks like it can cost close to $900 for the job. Remember though, no major work has been done on the car for over 60k miles and close to 8 years. I was told they can reset the light but that may cause other issues down the road.

I love my car so spending $900 doesn't seem like a lot of money as long as it will continue to run. He told me he would replace the timing belt at 80k-90k.

Is the connsensus here that this scenerio is valid? I know the coolant thing may have messed things up according to Galant306m so perhaps it is time to do all this work

Have other people had this work done when they reached the same mileage or code?

Thanks.

at 60k, i'd go ahead and replace the timing belt now along with the tensioners, the acessory belts if you haven't already and maybe even the water pump.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Well what i was saying is it might have been a head gasket leak but, you have a intake gasket leek which would cause the pugs to foul out prematurely. I would also have the timing belt done with a new water pump myself. just another thing that is going to need replacing soon so its better to get that out of the way now then have a problem in the next 30k!

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

Thanks for all the tips. I'll add the belt and the water pump to have them replaced per 306m and pinoyesv6. I'll report back with what was done and the prices. I just want my car back. This is the 1st time that the SES light came on in the 7 years I've had the car so spending a little cash on it now is not that bad. So much for my stimulus check...