The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Anyone has heard a tire brand called "Westlake"

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Anyone has heard a tire brand called "Westlake"

It come with my G, when i bought it. Is it a good tire, i search on the internet, but i found nothing.

Its a private label or associate branded tire. I believe its built by the Cooper Tire and Rubber Company, but I'm not sure. You won't find anything online about it.

damn, just find something.

About 450,000 Chinese-made tires sold in the U.S. — and possibly many more — may lack an important safety component, Bloomberg News reported, citing the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The tires in question were distributed by Foreign Tire Sales Inc. of Union, N.J., and sold under the brand names Westlake, Telluride, Compass and YKS in a range of sizes used on sport-utility vehicles, pickups and other light trucks. All were sold as replacement tires and not as original equipment on new vehicles.

Hangzhou Zhongce Rubber Co., based in Hangzhou, China, built the tires for Foreign Tire Sales with inadequate gum strips, used to prevent tread separation, or none at all, Foreign Tire Sales said in a statement to the safety agency.

The Chinese company "unilaterally changed the construction" after its product passed federal tests without telling Foreign Tire Sales about the change, the U.S. company told the government agency, according to a Wall Street Journal report. The flaw is present in about 450,000 tires sold to the New Jersey company and an unknown number sent to other distributors, Foreign Tire Sales said.

The problem is that Foreign Tire Sales says it can't afford a recall. "FTS recognizes that a complete product recall might be in order," the company said in a June 11 letter to the safety agency. "Such a recall would force FTS to file for bankruptcy."

Foreign Tire Sales has asked for U.S. government help in recalling the tires, but NHTSA officials are "really outraged that they think NHTSA can deal with this," Ron Medford, an agency administrator, said.

"There is no provision in the law to assist companies in cases of safety defect recalls," Medford said. Foreign Tire Sales has a "real obligation to conduct a recall," he told Bloomberg News.

let me guess.

its cheap and you're curious.

buy a real tire.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    never heard of it
    but thats the city i live in and school i attend :D

not to post back but i once had a tire on my 18's from a brand called Clear. anyone ever heard of it?
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    Its a private label or associate branded tire. I believe its built by the Cooper Tire and Rubber Company, but I'm not sure. You won't find anything online about it.
    You will if you try hard enough...

Westlake, Telluride, and Other Tires Face Recall
    June 26, 2007
    By NewsBot

A New Jersey importer of Chinese-made automobile tires has asked the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration for help in recalling about 450,000 of the light truck tires because they lack an important safety feature, lawyers said.

The tires, made by Hangzhou Zhongce Rubber Co., have an insufficient or missing gum strip, a safety feature that helps prevent the tires from separating, the lawyers and a consumers' group said in a statement. The group, Safety Research & Strategies, is urging retailers and wholesalers to stop selling the tires.

The New Jersey importer, Foreign Tire Sales, has told U.S. safety officials the tires were sold under the names Westlake, Telluride Compass and YKS, according to lawyers representing families of people involved in a car accident blamed on the tires.

U.S. traffic safety officials could not immediately be reached for comment, nor could Foreign Tire Sales in Union, New Jersey.

According to The New York Times, the NHTSA wants a full tire recall by Foreign Tire Sales and considers the recall to be the company's ultimate responsibility. Hangzhou Zhongce sold tires to at least six other U.S. distributors, according to the Times.

The Chinese manufacturer also could not immediately be reached for comment.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.