The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Cat rattling!!!

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9
    PMMA1997

Cat rattling!!!

I have found the cause of rattling and its at my cat converter but I dont want to remove the heat shield.. Any suggestions guys? What can I put inside the heat shields to prevent the pipe from making contact and start rattling? Thanks.

IllestGalant
    you can put a massive clamp around the shields to hold them tighter or do what I did and rip the shit off (___________)~

PMMA1997
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IllestGalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>you can put a massive clamp around the shields to hold them tighter or do what I did and rip the shit off (___________)~ Â* Â* Â* Â* </div>

If I do rip the shit off! What would be the consequence? Those things are there for a purpose, right? Mitsu went into a lot of trouble to protect the Cat.

IllestGalant
    lol, well catalytic converters work off of heat, the hotter they are the more emissions they get rid of. Under that heat shield is insulation, like the stuff inside the walls of your house only it is treated to deal with high temperature. It may effect emissions readings for inspections but only have to worry about it if your car runs like a bag of peanuts. Still showing low readings on my inpsection dyno so no worries here.

Experienced TGC Member
    Ye I dont think emmisions are anything to worry about, I just got my car inspected, passed the sniffer test with absolutely no cats installed at all. So dont worry about ur cat not being at top efficiency...you'll pass.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

PMMA1997
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JiP)</div><div class='quotemain'>Ye I dont think emmisions are anything to worry about, I just got my car inspected, passed the sniffer test with absolutely no cats installed at all. Â*So dont worry about ur cat not being at top efficiency...you'll pass.</div>

So the cat turns red hot whenever we drive it. What if a freakin stone suddenly hits the cat directly ! To make things worst, i just ripped the heat shields! Would I be lookin at a cat with a gaping hole?

Experienced TGC Member
    Well then, clamp the heatshield down like illest said.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

PMMA1997
    Thanks for the input guys! BTW I am here in Asia driving a VR V6! vroom vroom!!!

IllestGalant
    your welcome, and shouldn't that be vr v6 rattle rattle !!!!!!