The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 7gGalant Woes

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    l wUn Up l

7gGalant Woes

Wats goin on people? Been a galant driver on and off for a while but have never really looked into working on the car to get it running above average. Im pretty mechanically inclined but this is my first DSM i've ever worked on. I've been more on the Rotary and Motorcycle side of the spectrum for the most part, and my personal favorite 240sx's (Slide or Die!:smt066 ) .

Its a 1994 Galant bought a few years back as my brothers first car. He wrecked it, i put it back together with my grandfather and the car has more or less been sitting for the past 2-3years, being started occasionally.
    The problems that im running into right now are the car overheats,it needs new shocks in the rear, and i kno by the end of the day i will be needing a new power steering belt.

Right now i have most of everything under control but a fuse/relay im missing. Its an (LO2) RAD VENT. Could that be the reason why my car is over heating? Its a new radiator, no leaks, yet its not building pressure at all, but out of no where the temp will start rising and coolant will start leaking out of the reservoir. To me this is the main problem i need to solve so that the car will be atleast in operationg condition.

Sorry if im being vague, been up since pretty early screwing with other misc things wrong with the car and this Miami heat does take the life out of ya when workin on the cars lol Thanks in advance guys.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    If it sat for that long without being started, you could have some worn seals. The thermostat could be stuck open or the waterpump might not be working properly.
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    but out of no where the temp will start rising and coolant will start leaking out of the reservoir.

Do a compression test....if you register anything lower than 100psi or close to 100psi its a bad headgasket . The symptom I quoted is a classic sign of a bad headgasket.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

l wUn Up l
    LoL fast reply's thats good. I'll do a compression check in just a lil when i head to autozone. If it were the headgasket wouldnt it rise up if i left the car idling? When i first woke up this morning, to check for leaks or anything i filled the radiator up and let the car idle for nearly 45minutes with some occasional revving. No problems whats so ever.
    What i noticed that was weird was that the smaller of the 2 fans would turn on. Correct me if im wrong, but shouldnt the smaller fan only turn on if i turn on the A/C and the larger fan come on when the car is running?

Also i dont know much about galants other than its a 4g64 motor (im slightly knowledgeable about the 4g63) and that it has more torque than horsepower which is rare for a FWD platformed car so any useful info, tips and tricks you guys can shoot my way would be awesome. Is there any way i can check to see what motor is in my car as far as the displacement goes. The car has no badges but im pretty sure it was a Galant ES.

l wUn Up l
    Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT View Post
    If it sat for that long without being started, you could have some worn seals. The thermostat could be stuck open or the waterpump might not be working properly.
    I'm pretty sure all the pumps and hoses were recently changed by my grandfather. I'd have to ask him thought. I'll check the thermostat as soon as i get some cloud coverage. Question for everyone. Is there some kind of PDF File FSM for our cars? I've always been able to find them for the 240's and Bikes. It'd be awesome to have one for the Galant as well.

The 4G64 is a 2.4L motor.
    Light em up.

l wUn Up l
    So i started working on the car some more, but what i did today is irrelevant as the motor is possibly blown. driving today the motor died completely and left its oily contents all on the highway. I have a friend with an extra 4g63T just sitting around. Gonna start looking into a swap..... God i hate piston'd car motors =/ Rotary's FTW! lol time to start lookin into the swap i guess =/