The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: found this galant on www.miamirice.net.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 32 of 32
    that guy need to get out of the late 80's and early 90's and he dosent have an impala, he needs to really get put on.
    Join TGC NY, Click Image to enter

EvoLuTioN
    'sup Dram... ah... the good ole days... i remember dreamin about havin daytons on my corolla .8... had to settle for baby supra's... but yo... if you email me a pic of your civic i'll post it in here...

[email protected]

bye the way... have any of you seen the movie Baby Boy?
    it's not an 80s thing... cause to be honest with you... i i could afford Daytons... i'd do it... 16 switches... no doubt about it... i give him props for doin what he likes... individuality...

One...

fyi... there's nothing Rice about Wire Wheels...

!WWTGCD!
    Team TGCLV

Dram3000

Ok, I didn't know posting pics on here needed to come from an external source from this site, or I would of posted it already. Hope it goes through.

The category my car was in was called "full custom" Euro-low.

Here's a breakdown of the mods at the time the car was photographed.

PAINT & BODY - For starters, the car was almost completely stripped (which is the legit way to paint a car)...including the engine. The hood, doors, trunk, wing, and body kit were shot separately from the uni-body itself.

The paint process went like this. It was first shot with a silver flake basecoat. Then it was shot with two separate layers of cobalt blue pearl. The second coat had micro-flake added. It was topped off with 6 coats of clear. All House of Kolor paint products.

One thing I'll admit, is the ghost pattern did not come out the way it was planned to. It came out way darker than it should have.

The Sliding ragtop was added after the paint was done. Which if I knew I was going to add the rag, the cut for it should have been done prior to paint. But the plan was to eventually make the car convertible, so at the time I didn't want to spend money on a rag.

The wheel setup, (which is what started this post) are baby Daytons. Which are a 13" x 7" rim, with Pirelli P-7 175/50 tires.

Suspension was hydraulics (bags didn't exist yet). It had 10" rear cylinders, 8" front cylinders (which at the time were Red's pre-production McPherson strut cylinders, designed specifically for bolt-on for imports). Two pumps, two dumps. A very simple setup, that only did front to back, side to side, and pancake.

For anyone who doesn't know, an import is a uni-body constructed car - therefore it does not have an actual frame, so going full blown with anything above that setup will eventually twist the car. In time, the doors will start to not close correctly etc. I saw many imports fold up like an accordian.

Also, the car like any other import back then with hydros, could NOT perform a true "lay". Which is when the car can sit itself right down onto the frame (mainly cuz the lack of a frame and offset of wheel setups), and in most cases, the wheels can come off the ground. Only true lowriders can perform that.

In that particular pic, the angle makes it appear the car is sitting on the tires, but it is not. There was roughly a 1/2" of clearance. But if I didn't drive right when in the lowered state, or hit a big pothole, it could very easily hit the fender. Which it did a few times. Overall ride quality was of course complete shit, but obviously the trade off was having hydros.

Other exterior mods are pretty much what you see. Which is just basically a lot of "brightwork" - chrome and gold plating. Wing, fender trim, etc.

The interior was custom biscuit tuck in blue and black with some mirrors in the door paneling.

A few months after that pic was taken, I went on with my plan to make it the first four door convertible Euro-low in S. Cali. (at least on the show circuit). But some guy from the San Diego area, beat me to it, by doing his Civic sedan. And I won't front, his Civic blew mine out the water.

Then unfortunately, due to some personal life issues, the car was never fully completed after chopping the top. It was eventually sold to this custom shop in Anaheim.

For the comment about keeping them type of rims on Impalas and Regals, Caprices, etc. Back then, that was one topic on hand a lot. I completely understand it.

At the time Euro-lows first started surfacing with wires and hydros (mid to late 80's), the true lowrider heads, hated my type of car. Lots of them felt like, Euro-lows were like shitting on the Lowrider culture, which in some ways, it kind of did.

Many of my boys are true lowrider owners, and me and other mutual friends with Euro-lows at the time would always catch our share of homies clowning. I saw fights at shows over that exact topic. But eventually it was tolerated and accepted. My boys, as well as some other true lowrider owners, will never completely accept any import having hydros and such, but it's all love.

I can't speak about other places, but here in Los Angeles, there are still some imports on deep dish wires. That trend faded as a whole, roughly around 93'-94'ish. But it has come back strong in the last couple years. Lowrider magazine dedicates a magazine just for Euro-lows now.

Although, deep dish wires aren't as common, hydros and now air bags/cylinders still floss on tons of rides. And I've seen a few imports that can perform a true lay, cuz heads are tubbing the uni-body and panning the under-carriage, so the rims can fully tuck up underneath and sit itself on it's under-carriage.

I'm in my early 30's now, and told myself I would never build another full blown show car. But I have to admit, that sometimes after coming here, I get the urge to do my Galant and help put Galants on the map. I've been taking it into consideration the last couple months. If I do go for it, I'm a start by tearing it completely down beginning of summer.

No worries, it won't be anything like my Civic haha. I look at old pics of it and in hindsight even I think..."man, it was a bit way out". But I was like 20 years old and my whole life was about cars, at the time. Oh well, I had mad fun cruising it . Ok, let me shut up now.

I sincerely appreciate the offer to post the pic Evolution, thanks man. I might still have to, if I didn't do it right haha.

Dram3000

Re: .

Man, didn't work huh. Just copy and paste the URL below, or click it. Sorry yall.

http://www.cue-burn.com/civic.html

Hey Dram, I hope you didn't get the impression I was hatin on lowriders. And yea, I'm one of the few old enough to remember the import scene in the 80's. (how do you think I knew they were 13's on that Galant?) I wasn't into it, because I was into American muscle. Besides that, being from the Baltimore area, there weren't a lot of Euro-low cars or lowriders in general in this area. But I had my eyes opened when I went out to LA in 1985 for a business trip. I gained a whole new respect for the guys that sank a lot of money, time and love into cars that previously I wouldn't consider customizeable. Plus I saw my first real low riders. The things I previously only saw in magazines; impalas, fairlanes, dueces and some cars from the 50's and 60's I had never seen. Chopped, dropped and ready to rock.

So if I came off as hating the scene, I apologize. That wasn't my intent. I just don't think a Galant fits into the Euro-low class of car. It's too long to be sporting those wheels and unless he's got that thing full up, it's not dropped. On that particular picture, I think it looks bad But that's my opinion. It's all about style, and style is an individual opinion. Something we're all entitled to have.

I still can't see the pic of your car, but the description makes it sound awesome. I hope you can get the pic up here so we can all give you the props you deserve for doing it the right way.

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Dram3000

Fishboy, honestly man, I never felt that way for one second. I'm not the type of person who automatically thinks someone is hatin' just cuz their opinion may not match mine. Everything is all love to me on this board.

Oh yeah, I followed up my post with a link, that should work. Dunno, I used the [img][/img] tags, but guess something else went wrong.

no doubt, dram - post a pic of that euro lowrider of yourz - sounds like it had a lot of tight custom wrok done to it, even though it was a honda - but i remember, when i would always look at LRM, and I would see a euro low all hooked up, mainly hondas - i was like damn- them shits look alright!!! but, i too was and still am a lowrider fan - shit as a matter of fact, since i moved to ft.lickitdale a few years back from the west coast of fl., i still wanted to cop a hoopty like a regal or big body caddy and slam it on some 13's (no daytons--->2 much money at the time) luxor'z w/ some whitewall vogue tires and that custom velour plush interior, BUT, when i relocated to s. fl -my love for lowriderz started fading as the import scene was getting more of my attention, since i barely saw any lowriders, unless i drove down to miami (hialeah or homestead)!!! - but shit, out off all my blood relatives, i'm the only into the import scene, as my chicano/a part of the fam. still got mad love for lowriderz and the boricua part of the fam. got love for both!!! but i must admit this shit right here, if I would've never got a GALANT, I would've got a explorer or something of that sort and put 180 spoke wire wheels on it!!! but i went this route and i dont regret shit of it, I gots mad love for da g-ride but production upon modifications is running slower right now than expected for the galant!!!

so, as i said, i grew w/ my older cousinz learning bout' the lowrider scene and going to local shows and this n that!!

but as you can see, i'm more into the import scene now, but every now and then u can catch me coppin' a LRM issue just 2 peep it and see whats going on!!! plus how could u leave this site, we all a big fam. all bout' helpin' each other out on here!!!
    much respect your way, homie -

One to TGC
    Semper Fi'

ewwwww! I never thought i would say that about a Galant. i saw a honda around here once that had the wheeles like that.
    YES I STILL HAVE MY GALANT!!

Tiptronic
    could definitely do without the daytons. to each his own though!!

LOL too funny that shit is nasty he trying to low ride a galant lol now thats something for the books but here in cali you see stupid shit like that all the time LOL .... like accords on 13inch 100 spokes LOL its funny
    2000 Galant With 20 Inch TeZZen Wheels
    Rapped in Nitto 555 Z Rate 225/35/20 Tires!!

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/350820/

Yeah I have other stuff too but who cares LOL!

toc8g
    Yeah,...I am from San Antonio and we had nice low riders and I have seen plenty of cars like that in the 80's and early 90's and i have always thought that style of rims sticking out being little and and gapped tooth is fucking ugly!!! Their is no excuse for it now-a-days.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12