The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: I think I screwed up my Coil packs.

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6
    toc8g

I think I screwed up my Coil packs.

About 2 weeks about I decided to change my cai into short ram for a while. While I was doing this I disonnected my battery as to reset the ecu at the same time. I changed the intake connected the battery but the car was hesitating more then normal and was backfiring like when my old Galant a 2000 I-4 had its coil packs go totaly bad. Okay I have a 2002 I-4 Galant. Now I relized it was probably my spark plugs that I hadn't changed in a long, long, time. only once to be exact and I have 27,000 miles on the car. I know its not recommended to use Bosch Paltinums but I have been using those for so long I just buy them at autozone. I have never really had a problem with them until now so I guess I will have to go get them NGK from mitsu. But anyhow so the hesitation and backfire went away after I changed to new spark plugs. a week later the car starts hesitating again and backfires but not crazy,..you actually have to here for it when you take off and if you get on the pedal it seems smooth. I add the cold air intake back on reset the ecu and checked all my cai connections and everything is good but I hope I didn't fuck my coil packs up. If so I have a set of brand new ones that I saved from my silver car.
    so the car mildly backs fires and little to no hesitation but it still bothers me. The SES light came on once before but fter i reset the ecu from putting the cai back on it hasn't come on again.

it sounds like your car is misfiring, next time your car throws a check engine light, dont just reset it, see what the code is. if its a random misfire code, id say check your wires, you changed ur plugs, so they shouldnt be the problem. if its not ur wires, check your timing. it could be a number of things, but the code that your car is throwing will point you in the right direction.

i have had many mechanics tell me bosch platinum plugs are no good. one mechanic told me he had to take them out because of the problems they caused. i wanted to put them in but he said he wouldn't take responsibility if anything happens.

i'm using denso iridiums. stock ones that i took out were champions. i thought they were going to be ngks.

try new plugs first , since they need to be replaced anyway. the dealer might charge too much for plugs. try some searching like sparkplugs.com then call the dealer for prices.

what caused your coilpacks to go bad on your old car?
    2001 I4 White ES
    Injen intake
    Arospeed bomb
    Magnecore wires
    Denso iridiums
    Gdi stb
    Alpine cd
    polk components
    2 alpine 10s
    2003 17inch eclipse gt rims
    Yokohama tires

toc8g
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc888
    i have had many mechanics tell me bosch platinum plugs are no good. one mechanic told me he had to take them out because of the problems they caused. i wanted to put them in but he said he wouldn't take responsibility if anything happens.

i'm using denso iridiums. stock ones that i took out were champions. i thought they were going to be ngks.

try new plugs first , since they need to be replaced anyway. the dealer might charge too much for plugs. try some searching like sparkplugs.com then call the dealer for prices.

what caused your coilpacks to go bad on your old car?
    I think since I had the ecu moded by JET it burnt the coil packs out. My 2000 would rev higher....I guess the stock coil packs couldn't handle it. I don't think it was the coil packs itself, It was the boots on the bottom of the sticks that were screwed, the insallation.

remember that the 4 cylinder model also has an "ignition failure sensor" on them.

Although they have also been trouble free.

its quite possible that you have ECM problems.

toc8g
    Quote Originally Posted by manybrews
    remember that the 4 cylinder model also has an "ignition failure sensor" on them.

Although they have also been trouble free.

its quite possible that you have ECM problems.
    On my 2002 I have the stock ecu. That is the car the problem is on. The 2000 had the jet mod not my 2002, just wanted make sure I didn't wanna get any one confused. but back to what you just said manybrews,...the ecm,...hmm. Okay this is what happened exactly. I guess the plugs were so bad that the computer never recognized how old the plugs really were until I reset the ecu when I was first changing the intake to short ram. And this is why i think this. When my boots on my old coil packs went bad the car was mad hesitating and backfiring , became under powered had to take off crazy slow and build up speed as to not back fire but I would still get hesitation bad!! okay. On my 2002 when I put everything back the first time and replaced the cai with the short ram and reset the ecu it was having that same effect on my 2002 like on my 2002 one but this time I knew it was the spark plugs because like I said I only changed them once since I have had the car and it has 27000 miles on it, hard miles! I went to get the new spark plugs popped them in a immediately cleared up the problem but a week later you could here small tiny back fires going in the early morning or at night when the car has just been sitting their after that it practically goes away.