The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Iowa flooding

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12
    You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar

Iowa flooding

Was bored and went for a walk today. They were supposed to close the bridge today at 6 but are keeping it up as long as they can. My town is on a bluff so we never get flooded, but a lot of towns north and south of us are under water.

1. Workers preparing sandbags to use for barracades at the waterplant.

2. The lock and dam, water is normally not on this side of the lock.

3. In normal seasons, there is not any water from the first column of the bridge on back, and even then, there is usually a 10ft drop from the top of the river to the fence line.

4. The George M Verity museum. This is an old steamboat that has been dry docked for as long as I can remember.

5. Crossing the main bridge, this used to be a 4 lane road, they had to close two of the lanes and build up the right lanes with gravel. And apparently this guy thinks its a good time for some fishing.

6. Crossing into Illinois, the Land of Lincoln, and where cigarette bootlegging is illegal!

7. I guess the thought of driving on gravel scared this lady, as she decided to make an illegal u-turn in the middle of the road.

8. And this was the end of my joureney, my sidewalk had become flooded and I had to turn back.

And some more are on my photobucket.
    http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f3.../Flood%202008/
    7g for life!

I was thinking about you when I was watching the news reports this morning, Seth. Glad you're OK and my prayers go out to the rest of the folks that suffered any losses.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

i would be scared to live somewhere a damn had to keep water away from... espically since i have seen many reports stating how unsafe alot of them are
    Mods:
    2 tone leather interior, touch screen navigation, 7inch headrest tv's, 17" Driftz Black and Polished rims, 215 50 17 Goodyear Eagle Nct5 tires Tein s lowering springs, kyb gr-2 struts, rearview mirror camera, diamond black paint custom front and lower grill, Chrome door pillars., and chrome door handles. Powder coated my wipper arms wet black, exhaust heat sheild and my valve cover. 2nd gen led taillights

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    The lock and dam here has been here since 1913. It was built along with a powerplant to use the power of the Mississippi to generate electricity. Now, if the dam was to break, there would definitely be a ton more flooding south of us.

Supposedly our dam is one of the top twenty terrorist threats in the US. I cant confirm that, just a rumor.
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    dang.

Yea my cousin lost her house in Iowa this week. She had a tri-level home, and the water went so high that the house collapsed. With her husband in Iraq she didn't have anyone to help her move stuff to the second floor but it really didn't matter cause she would have lost it all anyways.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

Did you leave the water running in the bathtub and go to work?

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    Did you leave the water running in the bathtub and go to work?
    damn thats cold.... funny but cold man... alot of people lost everything... i just tank the lord for all my blessings...
    Mods:
    2 tone leather interior, touch screen navigation, 7inch headrest tv's, 17" Driftz Black and Polished rims, 215 50 17 Goodyear Eagle Nct5 tires Tein s lowering springs, kyb gr-2 struts, rearview mirror camera, diamond black paint custom front and lower grill, Chrome door pillars., and chrome door handles. Powder coated my wipper arms wet black, exhaust heat sheild and my valve cover. 2nd gen led taillights

Proto
    They should setup the speed boat races in Iowa.

Last night during dinner, my son asked me why it was flooding, I told him someone left the water on and left for work. haha.
    Love,
    Matt

Flooding sucks, living in the Upper Ohio Valley with the Ohio River I know the pain and sorrow, thoughts and prayers to all the folks.

Seth, we have no flooding in Vegas!! hint hint.
    Love,
    Matt