The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: a/t trans v.s. manual trans

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8
    Galanttuner

a/t trans v.s. manual trans

Manybrews, we all know here of the various and inevitable problems that the auto 7g galants had/have. I have a 5spd and really haven't had any kind of problems with it thus far. I'm just curious...Do you know of any common problems that the 5spd's have?
    I really don't see many posts from the 5spd owners here about problems with their trannies...I guess we are the lucky ones.

actually, on a percentage basis i would have to say that the manuals have more issues than the autos. However, since only about 2 percent of these galants ever had a manual, i rarely see them.

But, common issues are usually failing bearings and worn sychronizers.

Believe it or not, I would wager to say that about 80 percent of the automatic trannies we get in with damage are from abuse, or could have been prevented (I.E a large leak, lack of maintenence, etc.etc.).

Kain
    To go on what manybrews said, I'd back that up with my experience that 80% of all transmission (automatic or manual) failures are due to abuse or neglect. An automatic will last forever if you take care of it and watch the fluid, but a manual no matter how well taken care of will need at least one clutch in it's lifetime. My automatic has 140,000 on it, one fluid/filter change and it's holding up marvelously. My 5 speed has 200,000 on it and is still all original, clutch is just now starting to slip. So like I said it's all about the maintnance. I've seen a auto tranny dead in under 50k (Voyager minivan) and a 5 speed dead in 30k (V6 firebird that was ABUSED!) But, since automatics are always far more common they tend to have more problems on the whole.

actually i have a 95 and its a 5 speed.. i'm having some problems with the tranny myself... I think its what manybrews said about the failing bearings.. not sure tho...other than that i havent had many problems with the car.

manybrews.. how much would it cost me to fix the bearings if that is the problem?
    95 Galant S ~> 5 Speed Manual

IllestGalant
    just for the record, i beat the crap out of my auto trans, it held up for 70,000 miles, damn i'm impressed

i beat the crap outta mine and it just hit 100000

My auto has had some abuse, but i try to keep it happy. Almost 104K and she still goes forward

First one: Red 88 - 245whp/312wtq - HIN: Nightshift - Chicago '07 WINNER
    Second one: Durban 88 - Buckskin - SHP - Auto - Sold to more capable hands
    Next one: White 84 flatty - t3/t4 - VELNAS - More to come

"...Remember: Don't crush 'em, restore 'em!"

Experienced TGC Member
    Ye I am also surprised at all the people on this group that bitch about the a/t tranny cause I totaly abuse it, and very bad with remebering to changing fluid, using cheap ass fluid, etc...and its been going 60k strong..
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon