The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: The reverse swap: 4G63 into a VR4 car

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17

The reverse swap: 4G63 into a VR4 car

Hey guys, I have a 7G Galant VR4, as seen in the following post:

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=30729

And it's heading for Beautiful BC, Canada in a month or so. As it stands the car starts and drives as though it's healthy but after maybe 10 minutes of driving the inside bank turbo area would smoke up (in the engine bay)

after many days of investigation and assembling/disassembling the downpipe and front transfer case, we have eliminated the possibility of oil feed/oil return/valve cover gasket and head gasket being the culprit....

i.e. the turbo has failed and the fluid is spilling out of the housing when the car is driven (i.e. operated with load).

so the shop says, basically he needs to drop the damned motor, and swap the turbo on it and install it, and fix whatever is necessary on the way. The inside turbo cannot be replaced without the motor out of the car.

this got me thinking, what about a 4G63 swap into this car right now? I know for a fact that 4G64 is the factory motor for Galants in USA. But is the subframe exactly the same? I have source to a working 4G63 in the city (hard to get hold of 4G64 in Asia) and with E39A engine mounts and brackets attached to it....the car is running on manual transmission as it is.

the 6A12TT doesn't make 1 pony more than a 4G63 anyway (in fact the 93 VR4 makes 10 less horses than the 4G63 found in the EVO1, also 1993), with 1 turbo, 2 cams, 2 cylinders subtracted from the equation, there can't be any benefit of staying with the V6 powerplant.....

Anyone tried something like this before? What kind of motor mounts do you use (I'm assuming it's an non-issue for you since you are using the factory 4G64 mounts) ? anyone who might have come across a E84A 6A12TT subframe and compared it side by side with a US spec engine subframe? Any chance for this to be an easy swap?

the car already has 4WD w/ rear LSD, 4WS, ABS and a light frame (compared to a Eclipse) so it's an excellent platform to make it go fast......Question is, how hard would this get?:smt103

Can someone take pictures of their factory 4G64 engine mounts in USA so I can have a comparison with mine and at least guesstimate the difficulty of the swap?

I have a time limit also, I only have 27 days until I really need to stick the car into a container with my other goods heading out to BC and get out of here......

even with a garage working overtime do you think it's sensible timeframe to do an engine swap? The original plan was that I ship the car to canada, drive it around until it blows up, then in goes a 4G64 crate motor built and ready for some track day shenanigans..... but the turbo is not to be....

With the car in the shop the only thing I can do now is sit in front of my computer and research into it. I already have a CAPS system installed here and I have been comparing subframe/engine mounts and other parts with E39A and Evolutions....but nothing comes up as a match...

the CAPS system doesn't have North American model coverage, I'm downloading that now and hopefully the subframe and engine mount part numbers match up....
    Last edited by hk20000; 07-03-2008 at 11:19 PM

Proto

You can see my driver side mount. Other one is under the BOV on top of the trans. Then there is 2 more on the trans. the front of trans which bolts the the cross member underneath and the rear bolts to the sub frame.

Hmmm thanks but I was looking more into a Galant version of it....like just a regular 4 cylinder galant with 4G64/4G63 installed...The description sounds like our mount points do match....

but I don't have the engine brackets for a Eclipse or a 4cyl Galant here...
    Last edited by hk20000; 07-03-2008 at 11:50 PM

Quote Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
    Hmmm thanks but I was looking more into a Galant version of it....like just a regular 4 cylinder galant with 4G64/4G63 installed...The description sounds like our mount points do match....

but I don't have the engine brackets for a Eclipse or a 4cyl Galant here...

the mounts should match, its a 7g after all. The 4g64 is the same engine as the one above but swapping will be your least problem! Engine harness, tranny, transfer case, you need to have all this in mind when swapping, cuz it just might not bolt up to 4g64. Then youll need the USDM parts to finish what you have in mind. If you have a blown turbo then replace it - look for 3kgt around there, they should have the 13g or whatever it comes with
    Last edited by mko; 07-04-2008 at 12:05 AM
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

but my car needs TD025 x2 instead of those 13Gs.....Really rare stuff here. I called up Greddy for theirs and it's $6500HKD (about 800USD?) brand new.... but they don't have the Mitsubishi flanges and coupling....that's gonna be extra cost.

anyway I just installed CAPS for North America cars and here is what I found:

JDM part numbers = E84A 6A12TT
    USDM part numbers = D33A 1993+ Eclipse turbo 4WD 4G63T
    USDMG part numbers = E56A Galant 4G64

front subframe: (YES!!!)
    JDM: MB864642
    USDM: MB864641
    USDMG: MB864642

engine brackets: (CLOSE but no candy, with just the last digit different, I'm guessing that it's fine)

front mount
    JDM: MB844255
    USDM: MB844259 OR MB911271
    USDMG: as above

pass mount (mount T/M) (different, BUT no worries, read below)
    JDM: MB844267
    USDM: MB911272 OR MB911273 OR MR130007 OR MB910201

rollstopper LH (nope)
    JDM: MB844290
    USDM: MB911266 OR MR103817

rollstopper RH (CLOSE)
    JDM: MB844276
    USDM: MB844274 OR MR297707

also looked at this:
    transmission:
    JDM: MD971339
    USDM: MD972010 OR MD974842 OR MD973693
    USDMG: no 4WD available

Clutch housing: (nope)
    JDM: MD744084
    USDM: MD739932
    USDMG: MD745320 - found it to have a cooling pan thing near driver's side CV shaft, so not applicable.

Transmission housing: (YES!!!!)
    JDM: MD744770
    USDM: MD744770
    USDMG: no 4WD for US Galant

so no I don't think I have all the necessary parts to swap it here...... I'll work on my 4G63 project when I'm in Canada then......:( but do you think I have been missing something??? I'm just not too sure... Any other chassis code Eclipse should I look at and compare with?

So the situation goes like this.... I need a complete 7G Galant engine and peripherals from a donor car in Canada/USA..... a bell housing from a Eclipse 2G and the rest should bolt up...the transmission mount will be one-off but it'll be the one that's already in the car... engine roll-stoppers will need to be from a Galant/Eclipse since the block of a V6 obviously has different shapes than a 4G63. eliminate those balancer shafts then it's all about having a built 4G63 head from those crazy works shops in US and bolt them up and happy boosting...
    Last edited by hk20000; 07-04-2008 at 12:53 AM

td04 = 13g, 15g
    td025 < th04, so 13 or 15g should work

what kind of turbo inlet do the td025 use?

Standard DSM, or the triangle ones for 3kgt?

So, you wanna swap bell housings and use the v6 tranny? That may work! Your best bet is 2g GSX AWD tranny, its a direct bolt on to 4g64, but youll need the smaller GSX flywheel. you can find the engine mounts in the junkyard for reaaly cheap, but youll still need the engine harness, ECU..........
    Last edited by mko; 07-04-2008 at 02:53 AM

Build Thread

oh I see what you mean now. Does the stealth Turbo / 3000GT use the 13G?

the turbo inlet for the TD025 found on the car is regular round opening secured with a hose clamp

engine harness ECU etc can be had easily.... I just read on craigslist someone is selling a FWD 1G Eclipse for like 700 bux in my hood the only thing that's wrong on it is the engine smoking.... so from there I should get most of what I need....

anyway I'm still gonna try to swap the TD025 from the car at the yards first, fingers crossed.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    I believe the Stealth/3000gt uses a TD04-9b turbo which would be smaller then the 13g. A lot of those guys upgrade to the 15g turbos and make nice power. I dotn kinow how the JDM VR4 manifolds are flanged or if the TD025 turbos are the same as the T-25 turbos in the 2g DSMs, but chances are they are all the same flange.
    7g for life!

ah so you mean the flange at the exhaust manifold..... if that's the case here is a picture of an Aussie man doing up his single turbo on the same engine with the factory manifold:

Looks like a proper fit?

but if I install like TWO TD04 and push them with a 2 litre engine I think I'll get MASSIVE lag? with 2 TD025 turbo my boost comes on nicely at 3000RPM on the dot but with 2 TD04s with AR designed for 3 litres in mind...... it only gets boost at maybe 5000RPM??? The guys at Msport converted his engine into SINGLE TD05H and it has no power until 4500RPM I can't imagine what it's like to power TWO TD04 with the same engine....Or maybe I can attain the same power with maybe half the pressure level for even more power?

What do you think?

it looks like 3000gt manifold to me. If you can find 3000gt turbos, youll be ok!

If you use single turbo conversion and powering only from one side /3 cyl./ then youll have the turbo being run by only half of the engine displacement - 1L, and of course youll spool way later. The only way I see it is to extend the manifolds and join them into one pipe that will power you single turbo conversion.

TD05 is a bigger than TD04. TD05 goes from 14b to 20G turbos
    Last edited by mko; 07-05-2008 at 01:33 AM

Build Thread

the guy is pushing that single TD05H with both banks of the cylinder i.e. 2L worth of displacement

and it's still lagging to hell according to him, but once the spool is up it's super fast (or so he says)....

you could just put on bigger mitsu flanged turbos. there was a member on here that was doing it to his vr-4

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

well my purpose is not to make the 6A12 make power or anything..... right now I just want to be able to safely drive the car into the container, ship it out to Canada and safely drive it out of there....

then get it inspected for imported vehicles and register it..... Since a 6A12 has ZERO support in the North America it's unwise to even touch that thing.... The first thing to do once it has landed in Canada is to swap in the 2G Eclipse engine + clutch housing (bell housing), wire it up to the Mitsubishi loom and drive it around like that...

then maybe sell the VR4 engine and hardware to anyone who might be interested.....

so right now the priority is to get the 6A12 operating normally....Replace the turbo with a factory one of the same type is the course of action that I'm about to take I think...

unless someone knows of another Mitsu car running on the TD025 turbo I don't think I have a choice other than grabbing that other one at the yards...

talk to fuel, vr6, and Goku

they all have the same platform and frequent the site

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

since your planning to replace the engine, why not buy a 7G in canada or US, i think its a lot cheaper and its LHD.
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ideoid=2799274

A filipino's number one dream is to own a car before anything else. In the philippines, most private car owners consider their vehicles as an extension of their home but with one differrence: a home is where his wife cooks while a car is where his girlfriend builds a fire. Hmmm...

well I get the four wheel drive, four wheel steering, ABS, factory exhaust temp sensor and the whole VR4 world package (automatic climate control, leather seats and 4 wheel disc brakes etc) all setup and ready to roll.

The only thing that falls short here is a 4G63 or 4G64 motor, and a front mounted turbo setup to avoid any "struggles between the engine and the firewall" madness
    With a 6A12 motor you have to:
    1. take out the intake manifold just for sparkplugs
    2. take out the intake manifold just for valve cover gasket (It's a Mitsubishi, they ALWAYS fail one way or another)
    3. take out the intake manifold if your sparkplug cable was loose when you last installed it...... and you found out like 5 minutes ago where you just tightened everything which takes 30 minutes coz without everything tightened you couldn't start it and you couldn't tell if the sparks have any issues.
    4. take out the down pipe and transfer case to get to some rubber hoses that are inches away from the turbo, so they just cracked on you and spilled coolant
    5. take out the down pipe and transfer case because Mitsubishi thought a water-to-oil heat exchanger positioned where you cannot reach is a good idea......

!@#$!#&#37;!#^ the 6A12. But the rest of the car is brilliant....so installing a 4G63 is just perfecting it.

Now that you mention it MAYBE I can just import the VR4 bits and bolt them to a cheap 7G in Canada.....

but even then 7Gs are RARE in Canada because back then Mitsubishi didn't have any dealers in Canada and Galant was therefore never officially sold here. It's not even rebadged as Eagle 2000GTX like the 6G.... I don't think I'll run into another car like mine on the street.....unless it's a long weekend and Americans are coming up for the holiday...
    Last edited by hk20000; 07-05-2008 at 12:30 PM

Welp it's been short but it has been fun.... the Galant is going to the scrapyard in a week's time due to V6 head failure (that's FATAL.... no spare parts can be had throughout the city)

will be parting it out to get all parts needed for a VR4 swap for your guys imported to Canada. You will see a complete swap kit for sale soon....

maybe minus the 4 wheel steering personally I think that's just EVIL.