The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: The forward swap: making a 7G 4WD

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

The forward swap: making a 7G 4WD

It's a horse beaten to death and back but here goes:

so I have this VR4 in HK that I was about to ship to Canada....and just 2 weeks before I had to have it stuck into the container I have blew up the turbo between the engine and the firewall making it nearly impossible to repair in such short notice. shop is overbooked and they agree it'll be a tight schedule the turbo swap. This will work out if the turbo from the yard works but if that fails I'm SOL.

GREAT.

and as I was asking about swapping the 4G63 into it when a fellow member suggested that maybe I should just do up a regular Galant in USA or Canada but then.....I like 4WD too much/hate FWD too much...

here is my main question:

will the E84A rear subframe bolt-up to the E56A chassis? All that I'm looking for is whether the 4 bolt holes for the E84A 4WD rear subframe line up with the E56A rear subframe mount with no drivetrain bits stuck to it.

and my second question:

Will a regular non-4 wheel steering rear tie rod bolt up to a 4 wheel steering equipped rear subframe?

coz here's how I see it, if I wanted a 4G64/4G63 turbo powered VR4 frankenstein 7G..... I only need these parts from my existing galant:

transmission
    transfer case
    front CV shafts
    driveshaft assy (not too sure if the carrier bearings in the middle section of the car will get a proper bolt hole to fit though)
    shifter assy with linkage cables
    clutch pedal assy
    clutch hydraulic parts
    brake pedal assy (for manual transmission pedals)
    rear subframe
    rear control arms
    rear CV shafts
    rear 4WD hubs and brake setup
    Bilstein shocks and EC5W springs (just coz I just bought them recently it's a waste to throw them out)
    my custom fitted FD3S seats
    my momosteering wheel with Mitsubishi hub

and that's all there is to it I think? With the above in theory I can turn any base model automatic Galant ES/GS/S into a 4WD Galant... (complete with 4WS and ABS delete - you don't really need those things for a performance oriented machine) then the rest will be just the DSM way of making a turbo engine out of the galant 4G64....fuel system on the Galant VR4 is weak I don't think it's any different from a regular Galant (and I don't think you guys with turbos are seeing problems with the factory kit at all to begin with)

Also can anyone get me a few pictures of their underbody? Specifically I want to look at the rear subframe from the back (to see how the tie rods are fitted) and somewhere in the center near the B pillar.... I want to know if there are holes for fitting a driveshaft fitted from factory....:o

IDk if the rear 4 wheel steering sub frame will fit tho, you can do the 2g GSX one
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

alright I'll cross check their part numbers and refer to that when I get back to my laptop at work with the CAPS installed. :smt109

peace.

You can also check for the 6G Galant that had 4WS (4-wheel steer), but I suspect you already know the term.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    I had a nice post typed up and accidentally clicked on a different link, so here is a short retype lol.

1. The 2g Eclipse GSX / Talon AWD rear subframe and suspension will bolt up to the 7g with no modification(other then installing the extended AWD subframe bolts)

2. The gas tank will probably be an issue. The 2g FWD guys swap to the 2g AWD gas tank when they do the conversion, I dont think the 2g AWD tank will bolt up to the 7g, but it may, I have never looked into it. The option I would go with would be a fuel cell in the trunk where the spare tire would normally be.

3. The exhaust tunnel in the 7g is smaller then the 2g tunnel, Im not sure if a performance 3" exhaust nad the driveshaft would fit. You could run stock 2.25" pipe and a cut out or o2 dump possibly. Or if you have to, widen the exhaust tunnel.

4. Driveshaft. You could use the rear 2g shaft and have the front shaft custom made, or lengthen one of the 2g shafts and use them both. Id probably just rather have both of them custom made. Or the JDM VR4 driveshafts, I dont know if they would be a direct bolt up or not.

5. The carrier bearing bracket on the 2g is just spot welded on, so you just have to drill out the welds pull it off, and weld it in place on the 7g, no biggie.

Check out the tutorial for the 2g FWD -> AWD conversion, its really a lot simpler then you think.

http://www.automotivearticles.com/AWD_Conversion.shtml
    Last edited by seth98esT; 07-05-2008 at 02:44 PM
    7g for life!

Thanks i'll be looking into it....

the thing is I have a complete 7G VR4 that's available for dis-assembly.....so I want to know what I need from it and be very thorough with that list - I'm going to leave the rest here a few thousand miles from where my 7G will be reborn in...

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    quick question, how much was it going to cost to ship the car to north america?

well it's charged by the container..... it's about 2000USD + some fees and taxes all said and done for 2 cars, and then add extra to it and you can lash 2 extra cars on top...

the Galant isn't the only car that's coming into the country, for sure a Lancer Evolution I is coming and pending is a Skyline GTR BNR32 also being considered a candidate for importing.

can anyone confirm that there is no carrier bearing bracket on the 7G sedan in USA? My VR4 is going to hell soon it will rot and burn for it is sinned with a V6 but one lucky US 7G Galant is going to get some 4WD love in the near future.

Notes to myself:

E56A gas tank: MB927013 / MR134867 / MR134636 / MR134128
    E84A gas tank: MB866612
    D33A gas tank: MB866612

D33A propeller shaft: MR176859
    E84A propeller shaft: MR263668

E84A rear CV shaft kit: MR937310
    D33A rear CV shaft kit: MR176801 / MR176802 / MR176803

huh why is that different....? Maybe the chassis length is different? Also the rear driveshaft lengths are different.... weird
    Last edited by hk20000; 07-10-2008 at 11:49 PM