The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: My Lemon Galant

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18
    lemongtz

My Lemon Galant

Hey guys,
    I just found this website, and finally I have a way to get in touch with all other Galant owners. I wanted to share my experience with all of you, and hopefully you can learn something from it.

I came from Singapore to US of A in year 2000, and of course is shopping for a car since the mass transit system in Houston is bad as hell. Soon, Galant caught my attention. I like Galant since back in Singapore. With the VR-4 variation, it is one helluva steal. 280ps, 40+ kg/m, at a fraction of a price comparing to the Teutonics. I love how it look. With the squat down stance, and a fierce looking frontend, it is far from a regular family sedan.

I purchased the car in November 2000. It is a 2001 Silver Galant GTZ, fully loaded with all the amenities I wanted. Leather seats, power windows/locks, moonroof, power seats, and a nice sounding audio system. The engine amazes me all the time with it's acceleration(although the cautious Traction Control is annoying). Mid-range torque is spread quite evenly, and the ride is supple enough. I was happy, even with the resale value falling down the cliff, I thought it's worth it.

Before long, things start turning sour. Parts start rattling in the car. Suspension started squealing and squeaking. First, the front driver side door panel makes a loud banging noise whenever I hit something uneven on the road. The level of uneven I am talking about is really supple, which by comparision, only gives my sister's Civic a slight jerk in the steering wheel. I brought the car to the dealer, and they try to fix it, but told me they could not duplicate the problem. Well, I thought I will just steer through those pot holes then. Next in turn, the rear suspension started squealing. The noise is so loud that you could hear it from around 30 ft away. Almost sound like one of those beat up Chevy Caprice Classics. At the same time, the front suspension started rattling. It is a loud rattling noise that sounded like some components in the front left side is loose, and especially audible when turning. The brakes at all four corners started making noise too. The car is only 8000 miles old, and should not have this kind of problem. I sent the car back to the dealer, they kept it for two days, and inform me that they could not duplicate the problem. The service quality of the dealer amazes me. That loud squeaking is VERY audible, they just have to reverse out from their parking lot and they WILL hear it. And that is what happened when I went down to the dealer. I asked a senior service tech to sit in the car while I reverse the car out of the parking lot. BEFORE I could pull out fully from that parking SPACE (not even the parking lot), the loud noise emitted, and the dumb founded technician immediately jump out of the car, and ask me to leave the car with them. That cost me another 2 days without a car.

Couple of thousand miles later, the dashboard area starts rattling, and again I am back in the dealer. Meanwhile, the transmission starts acting funny. It will rev up freely during the shift from 1st to second gear (engine just rev without the gear engaging). Since that is not normal (to me), and it did not shift like that when the car is new, I inform the dealer. Guess what, again they say they could not duplicate the problem. I have to pay them another visit, having the same senior tech sitting on the car, and show him. He said it is normal. Well, since he is the SENIOR TECH, I choose to believe him. Throughout the period, they still could not fix the front suspension noise. I kept sending the car back but of no luck.

Again another couple of thousand miles. The transmission acted so funny. With 4 passenger on board, the clutch seems to be slipping. I again bring the car back to ask them to check, but figure they will tell me they could not duplicate the problem. I was right. However, this time they replace the front suspension components (the bushings and sway bar) to try to fix the suspension noise. They did not succes. Fed up with this dealer, I started to sent the car to another branch. They had the same attitude and basically, don't want to fix the car. However, the technician agrees that the suspension on all four corners feels and sound abnormal. Figure this, they kept the car for two days, replace a whole bunch of stuff yet still unable to fix that noise. The service rep simply ask me to go somewhere else. What a GREAT attitude!

I started to send the car to yet another dealer. I showed the tech on the spot where the suspension noise is, and he agreed that it is abnormal, and will try to fix the car. They had 3 attempts, and none of them succeeded.

The car has 39K mile on it now, and the front suspension is still making the same noise. And just a week ago, the transmission blew. The car is now stuck in the dealer, and they have not tell me when are they going to fix the car.

With the above experience, I will say, I will never ever buy another USDM Mitsubishi. Guys that are having the similar problem, I wish you luck, and hope you can drop me a line or so with your own experience. I am considering a class action lawsuit. Mitsubishi have to realise the quality of their product is inferior, and have to pay for the mistake that they make.

My email address is: [email protected]

The following is the dealership information:
    The first dealer I mentioned: Gillman Mitsubishi Southwest Houston (Very very bad service quality. They are not even trying)

The second dealer I mentioned: Gillman Mitsubishi North Houston (Worst ever! The first response from the service rep when he knows it is a rattling problem - "This kind of car is bound to make noise, turn up your radio and live with it." Said with an arrogant tune. I didn't see "Rattling, squealing and squeaking included at no charge" in my brochure.

The third dealer I mentioned: McGinnis Mitsubishi (Actually, pretty good service albeit they did not manage to fix the problem, but at least they acknowledge and wanted to try).

I have replaced all four brake pads with Tokico brake pads which finally eliminate the VERY LOUD squealing, and the fade problem, replace all four tires to Yokohame AVS ES100, replace stock air filter with K&N OEM air filter, headlights with Sylvania SilverStar. Engine oil is always Mobil 1 synthetic. Transmission fluid with Mitsu Diamond grade fluid. The car is maintained regularly either at dealer or lube stop (change oil every 3K miles). I drive gently and always avoid pot holes and such on the road.

Final words - Good luck with your Galant. I hope nobody else have to experience what I experienced. My next car will be of a Teutonic breed.

damn homie, sorry your purchase hurt u like that!! i feel ya
    Semper Fi'

Galant_01
    Well as far as I know there isn't anyone else that has had that much trouble. Wow sorry you must have really got a lemon car! Go to
    http://www.lemonlaw.com and they will give you info on filing a Claim. You should definitely be able to at least get a new car out of this. Good luck man!

damn that shii is scary as hell,, hope they get u a new car...... good luck with claim :?

AkA K h O p A r I.

I Am back BitcheZzZ

lemongtz

No luck so far.

The car is still at Gillman Mitsubishi Southwest, and they still have not call to tell me what is going to happen to the car. I had such a strong feeling that they are trying their best to get away with the warranty. But why? Aren't Mitsu the one who is suppose to pay for the warranty claims?

If anybody knows the website URL to the technical service bulletin of Mitu cars, please let me know. I read something about a transmission slippage on Galant V6 that occurs when shifting from 2nd to 3rd at NHTSA's website. I want to know more about the issue. Thanks guys for the support.

Re: No luck so far.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lemongtz)</div><div class='quotemain'>If anybody knows the website URL to the technical service bulletin of Mitu cars, please let me know. I read something about a transmission slippage on Galant V6 that occurs when shifting from 2nd to 3rd at NHTSA's website. I want to know more about the issue. Thanks guys for the support.</div>The post right below yours is a listing of the current recalls. Here's a listing to the TSB's. http://www.alldata.com/recalls/ I'm removing the sticky from this post, since your problems seem to be a highly isolated case. As mentioned, you should be pursuing lemon law claims on your car.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Senior TGC Member
    Finally, someone that proves I wasn't being biased when I said Gillman Mitsubishi sucked the big one. I live about 7 minutes from Gillman. Unfortunately this also means you live in Texas, and Texas lemon law states you have to file for lemons within I believe 12 or 18 thousand miles, any more and it can be considered natural deterioration of the vehicle's condition. Swing by some time I'll show you my lemon as well. I hate the Gillman companies, when I go for my next oil change (free, of course) I'm going to give them the print out of all the posts Galant and Eclipse members have made in complaint about them. Not that they'd care, of course...that's why I've already dispatched a bundle to Mitsubishi Motors HQ.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

Faction
    somebody got shook

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    man, u got stuck with a lemon for sure. i'm sure if u got just the next GTZ off the factory assembly line, it'd be in tip-top shape. sorry to hear about ur apparent loss.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Senior TGC Member
    We were just discussing quality control in class too...seems the industry actually has labels for Monday cars and Wednesday cars. Monday of course is the worst, Wednesday is what you as the buyer want to shoot for. Wonder when my car was built?
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

Sorry to hear of your woes lemongtz. I just want to chime in and let you know that I too have a '00 GTZ, and I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. I get that loud bang while driving fast or cornering and hit a small pothole or modest depression in the road. It's the front left wheel well and it feels like the struct doesn't compress and the feeling is like bottoming out (but only on the left front corner).

I know it IS time for my to upgrade my suspension but need to get other things done on my ride first. 50k is a hell of a lot of mileage for stock struts/shocks.

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

Senior TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJC)</div><div class='quotemain'>I know it IS time for my to upgrade my suspension but need to get other things done on my ride first. 50k is a hell of a lot of mileage for stock struts/shocks.</div>
    Then I guess I should be proud of our minivan...68k miles and no problems. I prematurely killed my front suspension when I dropped.

lemongtz

Quality control issue

Hey guys,
    Sorry to hear that some of you had the same problem. Mitsubishi's quality seem to be fluctuating a lot. I know a guy that will not buy anything else rather than Mitsu. And I know someone who complain like an old hag about her new Lancer. I have heard numorous other complaints about Galant, but mainly about rattling/squeaking/BRAKE problem. Rallifan, maybe we could meet up sometime. What model do you have?

The point is that, a fair quality car should at least be able to only make noises that is suppose to have. Tire noise, suspension noise, wind noise, gear noise is more or less acceptable (it is not a Lexus by any chance). Rattling, squeaking, squealing and banging/knocking is the kind of noise that makes the car feel cheap and loose. I have had an old 83' Merc 280SEL, the car make noises, but it does not rattle. I had another 77' Mazda 1000 (not available in US), no rattle, and I basically use this car as a training car. No other car that I owned before had this much noise and problem, even the Daihatsu 1.3L Micro Van.

Unfortunately, before Mitsu did something radical to fix their QC issue, I will tell the car shopper:
    "Wake up, and walk away."

Senior TGC Member
    I have a 2001 ES V6, and I live in Sugar Land pretty much right next to the dealership. My complaints were all functional, I could care less about the noises and minor cosmetic flaws. Mitsubishi has been having lots of trouble and working really hard to fix their image...at this rate I don't think they'll ever succeed. It's demoralizing for their employees I'm sure. "Wake Up and Buy Lemons."

TGC Regular
    good lord thats a scary story. i got a DE and have had it since 99 and the only problem ive had with the car was the glove compartment rattle and that the delership fixed for me.
    - Atba

lemongtz

Question...

Hi again,
    TJC, did you manage to fix that problem?
    To explain a little bit better, that banging noise is a different noise coming from the suspension. I have that problem too. But the rattling on my car is actually worse(louder) than that banging noise (well, I have both the problem, so I can compare...wish I couldn't). The loud rattling happens when I turn the car into a corner, and the road happen to be uneven. And you'll hear this loud rattle from front left end of the car, which feels like something big in the suspension is loose. This happen even during U-turn in my work place's parking lot, as you can see, it is impossible to go fast in a U-turn situation. So far, nobody can tell me what is wrong with it, but all of them acknowledged the problem. I can faintly sense the steering response better turning left than turning right, but cannot prove it.

Rallifan, what kind of problem do you have in your car?

Faction
    why dont they have apple cars? or watermelon cars? but lemons?? c'mon, theres many sour things out there, like grape fruit!

Senior TGC Member

Re: Question...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lemongtz)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    Rallifan, what kind of problem do you have in your car?</div>

I don't remember them all and I don't have my service records handy but off the top of my head I had: passenger front caster out of spec from the factory found this out when I had my first alignment done, transmission suddenly would not shift very smoothly. It would hesitate for seconds on end and then snap/bang into gear. They fixed that under warranty. Then my CV went out on me, fixed under warranty. Just 3 days after that my front axle went to heaven, and they blamed it on my modifications (which one, the gauge overlay or the VR-4 stickers I still to this day don't know) but repaired it under warranty. At around 9 thousand miles my power steering started to go on me, forgot what the problem was but wasn't the fluid. By 10k miles I already had all these problems and had spent about a month total time without a car, but like you, I didn't know about the lemon law here. 12k came around and something in the rear bank spark wires went poof and I lost 2 or so cylinders suddenly while commuting back from UH. My MFI relay went out on me, and Manybrews is right, he's not alone on this one by saying it's not common -- the incompetent techs at my dealership average 7 years of working there and they too have never had to replace the MFI relay on any Mitsubishi (and if you ask they will still tell you my car is the only one that had that problem).