The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Tranny Problems

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

Tranny Problems

I have a 01 galant 3.0l and a couple days ago my tranny went out completely but i just replaced it with another tranny from a 99 galant 3.0. When i test drove it the first day it worked good but the next day it wouldnt go into second gear until i hit 80mph. can anyone help me out and let me know what might be y this is happening?

Experienced TGC Member
    That doesnt sound right at all, first gear on the 4cyl tops out at around 30, so there is no way possible that your in 1st gear until 80. Unless your motor redlines at like above 20,000 rpm's. Take it out and pay more attention to the shifting.
    03 ES 5spd--Rota torque gloss black 17x8 et. 35--Hankook Ventus V12 evo 235/45/17--D2 coilovers--DC Sports STB--Intake--Brembo calipers--Powerslot Rotors--Stoptech Pads--SS brakes lines--35% tint--5k heads & 5k fogs--Alpine headunit--Kicker 400w amp--Alphasonix sub

if you can get up to 80mph in 2nd gear on an automatic without blowing your engine, than you sir deserve a prize!
    2001 es v6

dude if your hitting 80, maybe your stuck in 3rd..does it pull off slow from a stop?

2001 5 speed 4g64T

Quote Originally Posted by bellefontaine187 View Post
    if you can get up to 80mph in 2nd gear on an automatic without blowing your engine, than you sir deserve a prize!
    i don't see why u can't. 2nd gear will take u up to 82 mph with the 3.0L so going 80 will be just a tad bit safer for the engine.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

skippy969
    I sent you a pm, but I'm going to ask the question here too.

I also have a 2001 3.0 V6. I need to replace the transmission, and everywhere I've called said the 99 transmission doesn't show up on the computer as interchangalble with the 01 engine (for some reason) The price difference between the 2 trannys from the same place is almost $1000. What is the difference between the 99 and the 01? Will I have to get a computer from a 99?

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skippy969 View Post
    I sent you a pm, but I'm going to ask the question here too.

I also have a 2001 3.0 V6. I need to replace the transmission, and everywhere I've called said the 99 transmission doesn't show up on the computer as interchangalble with the 01 engine (for some reason) The price difference between the 2 trannys from the same place is almost $1000. What is the difference between the 99 and the 01? Will I have to get a computer from a 99?
    They are the same. 02-03 are diffrent as far as speed sensor delete but the transmisions are all the same 99-03.

skippy969
    If I go to car-parts.com and search for a transmission for a 2001 Galant, only 2000 and 2001 Galants show up, along with the sebring, stratus,and eclipse. If I search for a 99 transmission, only 99 Galants show up. Why don't the interchange systems show them as being the same?

Will anything need to be changed for a 99 to work on a 01? Don't the 99s have the external filter?

finally got it to work. yeah the 99 tranny was different. some how the idiots from a shop where i took it forced it in my car and some how broke my flywheel. the tranny wasnt the problem. my pops opened it up and didnt see anything wrong with it, it was the flywheel that was damaged so i had it replaced so now it works again like a champ.
    Last edited by sAnDiEgOVR4; 08-15-2008 at 10:57 PM

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6 View Post
    i don't see why u can't. 2nd gear will take u up to 82 mph with the 3.0L so going 80 will be just a tad bit safer for the engine.
    it wouldnt go into second gear until i hit 80mph

Quote Originally Posted by dwjp90 View Post
    wtf you talking about?

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Quote Originally Posted by sAnDiEgOVR4 View Post
    I have a 01 galant 3.0l and a couple days ago my tranny went out completely but i just replaced it with another tranny from a 99 galant 3.0. When i test drove it the first day it worked good but the next day it wouldnt go into second gear until i hit 80mph. can anyone help me out and let me know what might be y this is happening?
    Quote Originally Posted by dwjp90 View Post
    wtf you talking about?
    read the above, he said tha his trans wouldnt go into 2nd gear. so he was saying that he was in first gear until he hit 80.

Thats doesnt sound right at all, because i think the fastest i went in my GTZ in first is 45.. thats it switching gears almost at the redline.
    02StratusRT and 00EclipseGT