The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Need help ASAP Starter gone bad!

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4
    Experienced TGC Member

Need help ASAP Starter gone bad!

So in the past 2 days ive noticed that my car takes longer to crank over. Even after i installed my new battery, its been doing this. So tonite i go to start my car and it struggled to turn over and then made this whine noise. After that i stopped, and then attempted to start the car again and it started up. However, once i turned the car off and tried to start it again, nothing happened. I just hear a "click" whenever i turn the key. Ive got 131K and never replaced the starter. The battery is BRAND new. And im sure the altenator will need replacing in the upcoming months also. But im pretty sure that its my starter that needs replacing now. Heres my issue....HOW THE HELL DO I GET THE DAMN THING OFF??? I swear the engineers of the V6 really didnt care too much about the DIY owners/mechanics. Ive located the starter, but it sits right on top of the downpipe (right where the headers go down and turn under the car). I can access the lower screw/bolt that attaches the starter to the transmisssion housing. But how in the hell do i get to the screw at the top of the starter

Any help and advice is deeply appreciated. At this point, if i cant do it myself than im screwed for a while. So ima give it my all in the morning. Thanks again guys.

I am presuming you have a V6 from your name. There are only 2 bolts holding in the starter - one from each side - the starter should actually be easily accessible and is located right above the crossmember. If you look from the passenger side, it should be just to the right of the oil filter. I have attached a pic of my starter, looking from the drivers side. The bolt marked B is removed from the other side. It may be easier to remove the oil filter to get more access to the starter.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DryBear; 08-17-2008 at 01:44 AM

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DryBear View Post
    I am presuming you have a V6 from your name. There are only 2 bolts holding in the starter - one from each side - the starter should actually be easily accessible and is located right above the crossmember. If you look from the passenger side, it should be just to the right of the oil filter. I have attached a pic of my starter, looking from the drivers side. The bolt marked B is removed from the other side. It may be easier to remove the oil filter to get more access to the starter.
    Ok thats weird, because my starter sits right above my downpipe There is literally like an inch of clearance between the heat shield on the starter and the exhaust piping itself. Ima take my car into my buddys shop today. Im going to put it up on a lift, remove the filter, and fix this damn thing. Im also going to try and check it out from the drivers side like you said. Thanks for the pic and advice

Experienced TGC Member
    Starter replaced! Took about an hour. Drybear your pic really helped out alot. Had to drop the exhaust and remove the oil filter for easy access. This project was a breeze. Thanks again. Car is up and running fine.