The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Cv axle boot ? and starter ?

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Cv axle boot ? and starter ?

so my boot was loose and leaking grease everywhere and now its gone to the point of where the boot is ripped right in half, the axle was like new, is the boot replaceable or do i have to buy a new cv axle now?

Also my starter is going, could this have anything to do with the fact that my "clutch switch" doesnt work and i start my car sometimes without engaging the clutch? do i have to take the exhaust manifold to change out the starter because thats how it looks....:smt014
    KYB Adjustable Shocks & Struts
    Eibach Pro-Kit Springs
    NGK Plugs & Wires
    Proline 240 amp alternator
    Short Shifter 5spd
    Excedy Organic Stage 2 Racing Clutch
    Huge SunRoof Installed
    Drag DR-8 Black/Chrome 17x7 Rims
    VR4 Headlights & Taillights

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    The axle may be ok, depends on how long you have been running it without grease. Id take the axle out, clean out any dirt/crud, repack it with grease, and put a new boot on.

For the starter, the switch is not needed for the starter to work properly. You can disconnect the switch and have no problems. WHat does the car do when it has problems starting?
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Depending how much grease was lost and how long the joint was exposed to the elements would determine if the the whole axle needs replacement or if you can get away with just replacing the boot and filling it up with grease again.

Seth is right...you can disconnect the switch and your car will start w/o having the engage the clutch pedal. What issues are you having with the starter? Clicking? No starting solenoid engaging?

I don't see why you say that you think you have to remove the exhaust manifold to get to the starter? Or are you talking about the intake manifold? Either or...you don't need to remove either. If you have the stock airbox...its best to remove the airbox and tube to the throttle body. It will allow more space for you to work and manuvere around. Basically its just to bolts that you have to remove that hold to the starter to the tranny bell housing. Once you remove those bolts you should be able to wiggle the starter out and then you just have to unbolt the postive cable and negative cable from the starter and you should get the starter out.

Oh yah..disconnect the battery before you do this too.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

well as for the axle theres grease everwhere but i havent had a chance to check it out that closely yet, i stopped driving it for now and am driving my truck to prevent further damage. As for the starter when i goto start it, it will sometimes start right up or other times it will start to turn over then cut to sort of a whine and go no where. I thought the air box would be the nessecary way but i was looking at it from above and yes i did mean the intake manifold. Where can I get a new boot for this(advanced auto?) and cheapest priced starter>bosch is 164.99 at advanced
    KYB Adjustable Shocks & Struts
    Eibach Pro-Kit Springs
    NGK Plugs & Wires
    Proline 240 amp alternator
    Short Shifter 5spd
    Excedy Organic Stage 2 Racing Clutch
    Huge SunRoof Installed
    Drag DR-8 Black/Chrome 17x7 Rims
    VR4 Headlights & Taillights

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Seems expensive for a starter. Dont think I have ever paid over $80 for one at AutoZone or Advanced. You can remove the starter with just removing the intake pipe, that intake manifold does not need to be removed. You can get replacement boots at any AutoParts store, they usually come with the clamps and grease.

Take the starter off and have them test it, sounds like a bad starter.
    7g for life!

The average life expectancy of a CV with a compromised boot is like 4 days. Since you don't know how long you were driving it after the boot tore, and your going to take the axle out anyway you should just change it and not have it lingering in the back of your mind.
    141,000 miles.

6 dents.

Yellowed, cloudy headlights.

spraypaint on the door panels.