The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Noise When Accelerating

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Noise When Accelerating

Hi, I have a 2003 Galant ES (4 cylinder). Usually, in the morning when I start up the car and start driving, a slight whir or soft grind noise emits when I accelerate. The noise comes as soon as I press the gas pedal, once I let go of the gas, its gone.

It only makes a noise when I accelerate, and its very brief. After driving awhile I don't hear it when I accelerate or press the gas so everything is back to normal. I really have no idea what is wrong. Could it be because the car isn't warm enough? Or do I have some buildup in the fuel line or something?

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Could be your axles. Check and make sure the boots are not busted because if they are and no more grease inside, then will grind on take off, mine did that.

Experienced TGC Member
    There was another thread on here not too long ago with the same question. Ive got the same issue right now too. But my motor mounts are shot to shit. And a mechanic told me because 2 of my mounts are shot, it could cause unwanted torsion in my transmission under acceleration.

But like Raz said, check your axles. Have you ever heard a clicking noise when turning hard left or right? If so then you most likely have a torn boot on your axle.

Quote Originally Posted by 6G72Galant View Post
    There was another thread on here not too long ago with the same question. Ive got the same issue right now too. But my motor mounts are shot to shit. And a mechanic told me because 2 of my mounts are shot, it could cause unwanted torsion in my transmission under acceleration.

But like Raz said, check your axles. Have you ever heard a clicking noise when turning hard left or right? If so then you most likely have a torn boot on your axle.

Dude replce those mountns ASAP! before you crack your intake manifold like I did.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RAZ_76 View Post
    Dude replce those mountns ASAP! before you crack your intake manifold like I did.
    Im trying, but every time i get a little change saved up....something always happens

Well if you dont, you'll be saving an extra 500 bucks to replace that intake manifold.

I'll probably get someone to take a look, I don't know much about cars, and wouldn't know what to look for. I have not heard any clicking noises when making hard lefts or rights though.

Its a minor thing right now, but don't want something bad to come from it, it only happens when I first turn the car on, it generally does not come back after a few minutes, although it has a few times. The noise tends to happen when I accelerate softly, if I push it down like on a highway, there is no noise.