The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: EGR Valve

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

EGR Valve

my check engine code came up and it said EGR malfunction, my question is can i just go buy a egr valve and replace it? or is there other things to it and i should just bring it to the shop

Same thing happened to me. It was a bunch of things that caused that code not the EGR Valve itself. Unfortunately the EGR system is rather complicated and the problem with mine included a dirty carbon filled intake manifold as well as hoses being criss crossed.

I'm going throught the same thing the shop I went to told me the hose was gunked up that was cheap but then the problem came back. So I went to the dealership they said the EGR valve itself is stuck open needs to be replaced and possibly the solenoid. So my Galant is gonna have to sit for about month b/c its 500 to get it all fixed. Just make sure wherever you go that they know what they're doing. I would recommend going to the dealer so you at least know exactly what your problem is and dont get the run around like i did from regular repair shops. Good luck to you.

$500?

A new EGR valve from the dealer is about $100 online, and they are easy to install - just unhook the vac line, unbolt, remove. Make sure to get a new gasket too, for about $3-5.

Yeah $500 is crap. It literally took myself and my boy neither of which have worked on a 4g64 before 20 mins to take it off and put a new gasket on and reinstall. $500 is crap, even if the EGR valve cost $200 which it doesnt, I don't see why it would be that much.

yup, what 732 said!

Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar
    could also be the EGR solenoid