The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 3.0L Axles wrong from RockAuto.

Showing results 1 to 3 of 3

3.0L Axles wrong from RockAuto.

I ordered new Cardone axles for my G8 3.0L and both are wrong. On the car the right is about twice as long as the left and they have a metal boss where they connect to the tranny, the ones RockAuto (Advanced Auto lists the same P/Ns) are both the same size and have rubber boses. Anyone run into this before and may know the correct P/Ns?

Here is a pic of what RockAuto sent me.

Axles.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2002 ES, V6, 140K

The right side (passenger side) axle is actually two parts - the inner shaft that plugs into the transmission and bolts to the engine, and the outer half shaft - the outer half shaft is what you get from auto stores - they never sell the whole shaft (except from a junkyard).

You would really need to change only the outer shaft anyway - just remove it from the inner shaft at the bracket.

Thanks, I now have egg on my face because before I checked this forum I called RockAuto and argued with them.

Just a few questions please:

1. Does the bearing block where the inner shaft connects to the outer (pasenger side) often go bad. The reason that I am replacing my axles is because I am getting hard vibration when I accelerate, even more when I accelerate hard. The only thing I can figure is that an axle is worn and with 100K miles I figure that I will replace both and be done with it.

2. Do I need to remove the entire pasenger side axle (inner and outer) or does the outer axle detatch at the bearing block?

3. What about the black rubber covers on the bosses that connect to the transmission end of the axles (see the pic above)? Ever seen those? Might they just be shipping protection and need removed before installation?

Quote Originally Posted by DryBear View Post
    The right side (passenger side) axle is actually two parts - the inner shaft that plugs into the transmission and bolts to the engine, and the outer half shaft - the outer half shaft is what you get from auto stores - they never sell the whole shaft (except from a junkyard).

You would really need to change only the outer shaft anyway - just remove it from the inner shaft at the bracket.
    2002 ES, V6, 140K