The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: steering wheel shaking at high speeds

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14
    2003gtz

steering wheel shaking at high speeds

Ok the title says it all. when i hit any speed over about 60, so every time i use the highway i get a really bad shaking out of my steering wheel. I rotated my tires a couple of months ago and that helped a little bit but did not fix completely for a little while and now I dont know what it could be. Any suggestions would be appreeciated thanks.

Get your tires balanced. And check them to see how cupped they really are

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

Bent rims usually. As ^^ said, balance and rotate the tires again. If it doesn't help, go get your rims checked and straightened if necessary.

2003gtz
    what do you mean by cupped?

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar

audio_uphoria
    Could be your rotors. My rotors are warped and whenever I go over 70 mph I feel it, don't even have to look at the speedometer, lol.

2003gtz
    I just replaced my front pads and rotors two weeks ago

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    bad vibration at high speed can be caused by bent wheels, uneven air pressure from right and left tire as well.

You need your tires aligned. This can be done manually for pretty cheap. $30-$35. Computer alignments are more expensive, $70-$100, but are usually much better. That should take care of it though.
    -Well that never happened in the simulations.
    -'94 Galant GS Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by the_boogiman View Post
    You need your tires aligned. This can be done manually for pretty cheap. $30-$35. Computer alignments are more expensive, $70-$100, but are usually much better. That should take care of it though.
    aka

a wheel alignment....
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

I'm a Alignment Tech, and alignments does not cause vibration. Like stated, get your wheels balanced. That should take care of your problem. Also don't do an alignment manually, it's almost never right. If your near the St. Louis area, I would do your alignment for you. Good luck.

2003gtz
    thanks guys im going to get them balanced when i get paid. well see how that works.

Go to Mr. Tire if you can, that's where I got it done, and they have a special at the moment for $20 bucks for rotation and balancing -

http://www.mrtire.com/coupons/html_m...d_balance.html

You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar
    i have ran with stocks and 2 sets of 18's all balanced. this happens to me too so i doubt it is that. what i found (old posts) was that people suggested something with the engine mounts.