The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: building fiberglass enclosure.(pics to follow)

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    jlfisher360

building fiberglass enclosure.(pics to follow)

So today i went out and bought 2 10" and 2 12" sony xplod subs and 2 1500 watt xplod amps. Im planning on building my first fiberglass enclosure inside my spare tire area. Does anyone have any advice that has done fiberglassing before?

dont mix different sized subs
    ...pain is temporary, pride is forever...

imo mixxing them can be better if the box is built to the correct specs.. the 12's will give the deeper bass and the 10's will make it defined, when the box is built correctly
    Mods:
    2 tone leather interior, touch screen navigation, 7inch headrest tv's, 17" Driftz Black and Polished rims, 215 50 17 Goodyear Eagle Nct5 tires Tein s lowering springs, kyb gr-2 struts, rearview mirror camera, diamond black paint custom front and lower grill, Chrome door pillars., and chrome door handles. Powder coated my wipper arms wet black, exhaust heat sheild and my valve cover. 2nd gen led taillights

Experienced TGC Member ZigenScarface's Avatar
    do you know the basics of fiberglass? how to get structure, prep, layin fibers, ect? help us help u lol

jlfisher360
    i know the basics, what you need, and how to do it. I just wanted to know if anyone had any tips from a previous expirience.

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    unless you want it raised or something standard mdf will suffice just as well in the spare tire area...the only thing you would have to be concerned or realle as far as appearance would be cutting the top board to match the existing hole which is easy enough especially since you can use the original cover as a template and really dont have to do any measurements that way, underneath that can just be a regular plan jane square enclosure since you wont see it anyways... using mdf will look cleaner imho in that area

if you want the top to be raised or have a completly custom look then fg would be required but in that case i wouldnt make a custom enclosure in the wheel well i would make something for the rear of the trunk or sides etc

TGC Regular
    If you go on youtube im sure there are a few tutorials on this.

From my experience heres a couple valuable tips i can give you. After you've done your skeleton and your fleece/resin to get the structure. then cut a large rectangular hole in the back of the enclosure (the wood part) and use this acess hole to add multiple layers of fiberglass chop mat to the INSIDE. This will give you the strength/thickness that you want and you wont have to deal with sanding all that fiberglass down on the outside. Then replace the section that you cut out of the back and seal it up.

As far as the outside. Instead of trying to spread bondo over the whole thing and sand it smooth, spray about 3-4 thick layers of POLYESTER primer over the whole thing. Polyester primer is like sprayable bondo, but is much easier to sand, you will have to get it at an automotive paint supply place (1 quart). If you dont have the equipment or the knowhow, take it to an autobody shop have them polyester it. And then sand it smooth and paint it yourself.

Need some paint or bodywork done in Chicagoland or NW Indiana???.. http://www.alsautobodyexperts.com/