The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Timing belts are fail!

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18

Timing belts are fail! Pics added.

Just checked my timing belt this weekend, its a little dried out and should be replaced soon. No belts or anything were showing, just looked dried out. So my quick question, if i pull the top cover off and spray the thing with belt dressing will that help at all? The only reason i say this is im doing by swap this winter/spring and dont really want to wast money on putting a timing belt on if i really dont have to.
    Last edited by Galant306m; 10-26-2008 at 01:58 AM

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Simply...No.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Ordered my timing belt kit will be working on it this weekend.

1996 galant s

When was the last time you replaced the water pump? If it's been a while you may as well do that while you're down there.
    RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

water pump was replaced at 130k when i had the motor out.

The kit that i got came with the tensioners, timing belt and some other belt. $78.26 for the whole kit that will replace everything.

1996 galant s

The 120+K t-belt change should include T-belt, balance shaft belt, and If not replaced at 60k the following: tensioner pulley, idler pulley, hydraulic tensioner(depending on engine), water pump, balance belt tensioner pulley.

Well, im still working on this at the moment havent really put alot of effort into in so far today, but i do have everything apart, when i was trying to loosen the bolts to my harmonic balancer the tbelt snapped (seth says im lucky for that and once i did get the bottom cover off i noticed the balance shaft belt was broken and a bearing was seized up and im lucky for that again.) I have some pics but the only problem that im having is that i cant get the lower timing gear off cause the bolt for that is rusted in and the motor spins when i try to loosen the thing up. I thought changing this thing was going to be much worse then what it really is just some bolts that are rusted are holding me up. hmm i think the car will run much better when this is all done. :)

1996 galant s

This was broken when i took everything apart and i think that it was there for awhile, since it stayed in that position haha.

And the timing belt broke when taking the harmonic balancer off.

And the reason for the is not being done is cause i cant get this stupid bolt off.

1996 galant s

Uhh yeah hi, that doesn't come off...

222whp/250wtq

Quote Originally Posted by laxinwarrior View Post
    Uhh yeah hi, that doesn't come off...
    wait what? that dosnt come off? fuck me man we where trying for a long ass time to get that off cause it show in the Chilton book says to take that off? im so confused now.

1996 galant s

Chilton's is wrong, it's telling you how to get the pulley off for the 99-03 galants. The only time you would need to take the crank sprocket off is if you needed to replace the timing plate behind it or the main seal.

222whp/250wtq

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Yes..the only time you need to remove that crank bolt is to replace the crank seal or somehow need to replace the crank trigger plate. If you do plan to replace the crank seal..the best way to remove that crank bolt is with a impact socket gun.

Your balance shaft belt broke just like mine when I tore down my motor. You and I are lucky that it didn't make it way on the Tbelt and chew it up and killed our motors.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

so all i need to do is just work the belt around the crank pully? or how do you pull it off? The balance shaft belt needs to be timed also i thought and the only way to see the marks is by removing the crank gear.

Because i need to get my car working again today im about to say fuck the balance shaft for a lil while (it hasnt been working for a while and i dont know what it really hurts not having it work.)

Let me know guys i need to get her done today.

1996 galant s

Well i finally got that bolt off, was just going to try and work the balancer belt around the crank position sensor plate and while trying to turn the crank to give myself some room the bolt just fell out and the pully just slipped off haha, was a wtf moment since we broke two socket and a breaker bar trying to get it off last night.

If someone could walk me through timing the thing it would help out alot.

give me a call 414-491-6850 it would really help me out.

1996 galant s

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    I couldnt get the BS belt on without taking off the crank gear and timing plate. But that was on a '63t, should be the same though.

As for timing the motor, Page 4.
    http://www.galantspeed.net/downloads/manuals/7g4g64.pdf

Not a whole lot of help, but theres really not much too it. Just get all the marks lined up. If the belt broke before you could get everything lined up, put the new belt on, put some tension on it, turn the crank until everything lines up, or the closest you can get things. Then take the belt off, adjust whatever needs adjusted, and put the belt back on for the last time and follow the rest of the procedures.
    7g for life!

do all the marks have to be lined up at the same position? cause looking at a alldata diagram it showed the crank gear at 10 oclock and the cam shaft at 12

1996 galant s

all done runs good. thanks for all the help guys especially seth for walking me through most of it.

1996 galant s

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    No problem man. Im sure it runs much smoother now that you have a functioning front balance shaft lol. Nuts stuff.
    7g for life!