The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Opinions/Suggestions for possible future taillight project

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

Opinions/Suggestions for possible future taillight project

Here's just a couple real quick pictures of an idea I got in my head today while driving back to Ft Bragg for a possible setup for my taillight project, to happen at some undetermined time in the future. Just wanted to see what yall think and see if you guys had any suggestions of what you think might look cool. Basically, I'm wanting to do this with LEDs, so in the pictures imagine the squares as LEDs :D

Again, these are very rough examples of what was in my head, so bare with me on the quality. Plus, I dont have photoshop or anything cool, so yes, these were dont in paint! haha

Tail light design in running light mode.

Running lights + reverse light

Add a little brake action

Turning...

A real quick job of seeing how they look on the ass end of the G. Again, the actual look and size and placement is just a quick job to see how they might kinda look on there.
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L 4G64 */* !!NEW!! 03 Honda CBR F4i
    * a little done -*- more to come *
    My Dual Halo H3 Projector Project

That would be pretty sick, I would say instead of the arrow looking turns, just make the circle blink.
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

I dunno Sarge, I like the look, but having worked a lot with LED's I think you're going to have to either build a serious circuit board or do some serious wiring of HyperBrite LED's to make this work. Not that it couldn't be done, but I think it's going to make your headlight project look like a simple job compared to this project. Also remember you'll need to electrically build in sufficient resistance to the flasher so you don't get the LED fast blink. You may want to prototype it first to see what you're going to be getting yourself into.

Have you thought about using your Alteezas as a template and building an LED Array using those locations? That might make it slightly easier to do the alignment, plus you'll have the existing reflectors to help you. Just a thought.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

yeah I was figuring just a big circuit board would be what I would do with it. i have worked with circuit boards and LEDs but that was many years ago, so this would be an interesting project. but a prototype would definatly be in order well before I get to work on the actual taillight, which in all honesty wont be anything in the very near future. as far as the resistane, I was just going to utilize the load equalizer like I have for my switchback LED turnsignals.

I had thought about just using LED bulbs in the altezzas, but I really dont like the altezzas for a couple reasons (but again imo better than stock or JDM) so I would really like to have something like this. figure if they dont have it, then make it! haha

just curious tho, if I used the HyperBrite LEDs, would I even need reflectors?

first question. why would you have reverse lights come on with the brake and turn signals? sounds a tad bit illegal.

but yea, i agree with chip, that will be alot of work. if you know of some tails you can retrofit the leds from you might have an easier time.

i think the biggest issue with the build i think would be the lens. the clear TYC lenses would work the best but they aren't flat. the factory lens, whether it be the USDM or the JDM style is flat but the problem is that they are textured on the inside. that texturing is made to spread the light inside of the tail. with just a regular bulb that would'nt be a problem. but with your leds and that pattern its not gonna look so good.

as for reflectors, you are going to need them no matter what. back like 10 years ago or so when APC first started selling altezza style lights, they got in big trouble because people kept getting pulled over by the police because the tails didn't have the reflector and thus not being DOT approved.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

i like it but the arrows for the turn signals should be amber... imo... i have thought about doing this.... but wiring is not my strong point... what i was thinking was to cut out the pattern u want in the back of the tail lights, then use abs plastic and shape it to the patterns u cut out and one by one install the leds. Some leds have built in resistors(i think) I would use thouse. I wish u lived closer.. we could brainstorm
    Mods:
    2 tone leather interior, touch screen navigation, 7inch headrest tv's, 17" Driftz Black and Polished rims, 215 50 17 Goodyear Eagle Nct5 tires Tein s lowering springs, kyb gr-2 struts, rearview mirror camera, diamond black paint custom front and lower grill, Chrome door pillars., and chrome door handles. Powder coated my wipper arms wet black, exhaust heat sheild and my valve cover. 2nd gen led taillights

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6 View Post
    first question. why would you have reverse lights come on with the brake and turn signals? sounds a tad bit illegal.
    Lol! no no, they would all work independently like normal. The running lights would stay on at night. The reverse light would only come on in R gear, etc etc. I just used the picture of them all on when I put it on my car just to get the total look of everything! :)

b
    Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6 View Post
    ut yea, i agree with chip, that will be alot of work. if you know of some tails you can retrofit the leds from you might have an easier time.

i think the biggest issue with the build i think would be the lens. the clear TYC lenses would work the best but they aren't flat. the factory lens, whether it be the USDM or the JDM style is flat but the problem is that they are textured on the inside. that texturing is made to spread the light inside of the tail. with just a regular bulb that would'nt be a problem. but with your leds and that pattern its not gonna look so good.

as for reflectors, you are going to need them no matter what. back like 10 years ago or so when APC first started selling altezza style lights, they got in big trouble because people kept getting pulled over by the police because the tails didn't have the reflector and thus not being DOT approved.
    Yeah, I've never taken apart the taillights, so I dont know what kind of housing Im working with, although I'm not really going to need much room for a board of LEDs. Also I figured I would have to custom make a clear cover for it. This was the biggest road block in my head, because unless theres a way to shape plexiglass yourself, Id probably have to go somewhere and have it made. I would want it to be flat, not like the altezzas.

and is the reflector your talking about the one that reflects when another cars light shines against it, or the reflective material behind the bulbs? Im wondering if the reflective material behind the bulbs would be necessary with HyperBrite LEDs

Quote Originally Posted by guynlidia2006 View Post
    i like it but the arrows for the turn signals should be amber... imo... i have thought about doing this.... but wiring is not my strong point... what i was thinking was to cut out the pattern u want in the back of the tail lights, then use abs plastic and shape it to the patterns u cut out and one by one install the leds. Some leds have built in resistors(i think) I would use thouse. I wish u lived closer.. we could brainstorm
    I was thinking of maybe a yellow turn signal, if that is an approved color. I just saw it on a Pontiac GTO a couple days ago and it looked pretty good.

Moved the circles closer and made a smaller, yellow turn signal... i think I like this better.

i know this is a old post, but you could achieve this look by retro fitting the leds from the vw passat...
    Mods:
    2 tone leather interior, touch screen navigation, 7inch headrest tv's, 17" Driftz Black and Polished rims, 215 50 17 Goodyear Eagle Nct5 tires Tein s lowering springs, kyb gr-2 struts, rearview mirror camera, diamond black paint custom front and lower grill, Chrome door pillars., and chrome door handles. Powder coated my wipper arms wet black, exhaust heat sheild and my valve cover. 2nd gen led taillights

really? ill have to look in to it and see what they got. ive never noticed those

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...Q5fAccessories

ok if you look in the clear part there is a round globe, it contails the brake, running, turn signals and the reverse light... just how u want it..
    Mods:

Mods:

Mods:

Quote Originally Posted by guynlidia2006 View Post
    That setup is dope!
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D