The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Another Motor/Tranny swap question

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11
    GalantSpeed

Another Motor/Tranny swap question

Ok I haven't been able to find this anywhere...

All the JDM 4g63t motor trannys that i can find are coming with the AWD choice of auto or manual trannys. now since my car is set up as 2wd, although the tranny will have the transfer case on it, can i take the transfer case off and plug the hole where it was? or can i just leave the transfer case on there and not hook up a drive shaft. are all JDM 4g63t set for AWD? if not where can i find one that is set up for 2wd? thanks.

BEAST
    I don't think that it will work like that. Because with the tranny the drive shaft going to the back, even though not in use, will still be powered, so you will only get about half of the power to your front wheels.

IllestGalant
    most transfer cases split 60 percent of torque to the rear wheels, you would only be utilizing 40 percent of the power output, even if you had 400 horsepower under the hood. you would be driven as slow as ass.

yeah there was a guy from galantspeed that did that, ended up ditching the tranny for a Galant 5 speed tranny

Kain
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IllestGalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>most transfer cases split 60 percent of torque to the rear wheels, you would only be utilizing 40 percent of the power output, even if you had 400 horsepower under the hood. you would be driven as slow as ass.</div>

Close, but backwards. The Front wheels almost always get the largest share of the power in an AWD car (the Skyline is the only car that I know of that sends more power to the rear wheels) Actually, many AWD cars send 100% power to the front wheels until it detects slipping. I know the Audi AWD system works that way. I think the Eclipse was 65/35 ish. You'd have to ask someone with more knowledge though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NycTrini)</div><div class='quotemain'>yeah there was a guy from galantspeed that did that, ended up ditching the tranny for a Galant 5 speed tranny</div>
    So the tranny from a 5 speed Galant would work fine with it? Or are u just guessing?
    YES I STILL HAVE MY GALANT!!

works great with it, even if u get a levelten tranny u should be able to hang with the engine power, but if anythign i would add an external tranny cooler

would anyone happen to know if there is a weight difference between the 4G63t and the 4G64DOHC. Also i could just use a radiator from a eclipse?And would there be enough room for a intercooler?
    YES I STILL HAVE MY GALANT!!

GalantSpeed
    there's roughly a 150lbs weight difference between the 64 and 63. the 63 being less weight. also the 64 and 64 have the same radiator but different thermostat housings. if you are wanting to install an intercooler on a galant you are going to have to shave off some of the inside of the bumper support, (the black thing underneath the bumper cover. you are also going to either relocate your battery to the trunk and cut some holes where the battery was so you can run your intercooler piping through the fender and down to the front bumper or find somone who is willing to customize you some intercooler piping, which is more than likely going to be expensive and time consuming. personally i think the FMIC (front mount intercooler) would be easier to install.

IllestGalant
    [quote="Kain"]
    Quote Originally Posted by IllestGalant
    most transfer cases split 60 percent of torque to the rear wheels, you would only be utilizing 40 percent of the power output, even if you had 400 horsepower under the hood. you would be driven as slow as ass.
    sorry kain, I'm so used to working on gm trucks. your absolutely right. In 4 wd the rear gets 60. sorry :oops:

HiperSilver
    not really, althought it sounds true its not, you would actually be getting more power to the front wheels than with all wheels, less drivetrain lose. For dyno days at a local shop, they have to convert to fwd because of the dynojet because its not an AWD dyno, you numbers will be higher than if you use a dynapack 4 wheel hub dyno.