The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 96 Galant S, strange noise

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5
    AeonGrey

96 Galant S, strange noise

OK so the first time I hear this noise, is when im in a neighborhood and im accelerating (very moderately). It was a loud constant scrape/ALMOST grind noise (very high pitched grind). It went away after about 5 seconds. About 3 minutes later I'm cruising along at about 40 and it starts again seemingly without cause (just going straight, not accelerating or anything). This time it lasts longer (about 15-20 seconds) and just stops.... I'm not sure what this could be. It doesn't sound like its a wheel/brake thing because I didnt have my brakes on and it doesn't sound like a "rotating" noise, it is more constant. The noise didn't produce any other symptoms, the car still handles fine, no lights come on....nothin. Any ideas?

where does the noise come from?!? recently i had a rattle noise by my cat and it was the heat sheild rattling, and now my rear one is too

AeonGrey
    trust me it isn't a rattling...it has a definite friction sound to it.

galAZNt
    i'm thinking is the harmonic balancer and your belts. When belts are about to go or your harmonic balancer (bottom pulley, connects to alternator/AC/engine)is about to come apart it makes that noise. It happened to me, i did let it go til it broke but you don't wanna get stuck on the road. check your belts and the pulleys.
    that's my guess with the info given. keep us posted.

AeonGrey
    allright well now that you mention it, it could be a belt thing. I had the belts done not too long ago, but oh well. I'll have a more car-knowledgable friend of mine look at it.