The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Rusty Oil Pan!?

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

Rusty Oil Pan!?

Can anyone give me a ballpark estimate how much it would cost to replace an oil pan? And how complicated of a job is it?

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    6 cyl or 4 cyl?

Brand new..not sure, probably around or close to $100 possibly? Or you can find one in a salvage yard much cheaper.

Replacing a oil pan is fairly easy..but the hard part MAY be removing the flex pipe from the header. If the oil pan is rusty..its a good chance the bolts for the exhaust is too. I would spray a generous amount of PB blaster to loosen up the bolts on the oil pan and exhaust.

Once you remove the flex pipe you can access and remove the oil pan. Remove the bolts, clean off the oil pan gasket and apply some copper gasket sealer and install the oil pan gasket.

When you torque down the oil pan bolts..DO NOT over torque them or they will break. Torque down just enough where it feels tight. Tighten the bolts like you would tighten wheel lugunts. Cross tighten the bolts so the pan evenly seats to the block.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Estimate to do it at a shop or on your own? Upper or lower oil pan? I4 or V6?

At my shop, we'd would probably charge about 300-400 for parts and labor for the lower pan on either the 4 or 6.

To do it yourself, the oil pan isn't that expensive, and you'd just need to get the gasket. Then its just a bunch of small bolts.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

You can get a new lower oil pan for the v6 for really cheap. I found one on mitsubishiparts.com for around $25.00
    02StratusRT and 00EclipseGT