The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: simple tips please

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12
    GalanteNinja83

simple tips please

hello everyone..my name is erick and i just currently bought a 99 galant SE 4 cyl.i just bought it on an autoshop and they told me they just got the transmission replaced before i bought it. but as soon as i turned the engine on..I AM HEARING THIS NON STOP WHISTLING SQUEALING NOISE UNDER THE HOOD EVEN RUNNING.its not really loud but its so annoying and i just keep hearing it.. what i thought is the timing belt but it looks ok and not worned out.im not really good on fixing a car engine stuff but atleast can anyone explain me what and where do u guys think is that WHISTLING NOISE coming from..i need a clear and detailed advices..thank you so much

yea that happen to me when i first got my g and when it was cold out i camt remember what belt it did but it was loose and had to be tighter.and it was a really load squeal.

GalanteNinja83
    oh thanks blacky your msg sounds relieving..so u really think its the belt had to be tighten up and the temperature..thank you thank you... i need some more opinion what are some other possible things that can make my engine a squealing noise

i would suggest to take a video of it and up load so we can listen
    Mods:
    2 tone leather interior, touch screen navigation, 7inch headrest tv's, 17" Driftz Black and Polished rims, 215 50 17 Goodyear Eagle Nct5 tires Tein s lowering springs, kyb gr-2 struts, rearview mirror camera, diamond black paint custom front and lower grill, Chrome door pillars., and chrome door handles. Powder coated my wipper arms wet black, exhaust heat sheild and my valve cover. 2nd gen led taillights

well it is squealing or is it whistling? If it's whistling it could be a clogged PCV valve or some other air or vacuum leak. Look for loose or cracked vacuum lines. Squealing is usually a belt.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

If it's squealing, best guess would be the alternator belt. This may or may not work, but when you start it, after it finishes squealing, turn on your high beams and pull up on all 4 window buttons... if the squealing comes back, or is fluctuating, could be your battery (weak battery putting strain on the alternator), your alternator belt, or the alternator itself. And of course if this little diagnostic doesn't work just ignore everything I said, lol.

GalanteNinja83
    no s4ean.. u can be right too..i was guessing the same thing..its the alternator belt..so what should i do first.. replace the alternator belt? the battery? both? idk now

i had this issue, my mechanic just tightened the belt and it went away.
    00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

this seems to happen alot my car squeals too when its cold i go down the block warm up and its fine its usually a belt and most of the time alternator belt cause its one of the hardest to keep tight since alternators pivot on their bolt before tightened, try using a prybar to keep it as stretched as possible as you tighten, if that doesnt stop it you may need to change or have your mechanic tighten.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Does this squeal or whistling noise increase when the revs increase? Like what everyone said..if its a squealing noise is most likely your alternator belt.

If its a whistling noise..then is probably a vaccume source thats leaking.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

GalanteNinja83
    yup it should be the alternator..ima go to my mechanic and have it change this coming weekend.. the squeal sounds like a cricket and when i rev up it goes louder and continous..but when i just start the car idling in 5-10 minutes that squeal is not there yet

GalanteNinja83
    thanks guys..u guys are a big help.. long live tgc!