The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: EVO swap on the way!

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

EVO swap on the way!

Or so i hope! I have been looking for some engines and not really sure what to go with. I have been thinking about the evo 8-9, but they are too expensive. $4000 for just the motor? Damn! But then today i came across two EVO 4 engines (both from a 1996 model) and was wondering if they are the same. Look like everything is the same. Facing the engine, the cams are on the left and intake opens to the right. I think this is the same 63. Can someone clarify this for me. I know this is probably a noob question, but i havent looked into swapping the 63 that well. I am looking for a better priced engine (were the evo 4 will run about $2200-$2500 than the evo 8-9 for around $4000) because i will be putting the car in a shop to have the swap done and that is were the cost is going to get me. I still have time to save, but i would like to get a jump and purchase the engine so that it could sit in my new garage and get some stuff done to it before it gets put in the car. Thanks for any help.
    Currently on my 3rd 8G... Not giving up this time!

keep in mind no one makes replacements parts for the evo 4 motor here in the States. so if you ever need a part, you'll have to wait a few weeks for the parts to be shipped from Japan. assuming you can read japanese.

so ya, i think you jumped the gun with your title

Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar
    Yeah man I saw the engine, form 1996 with 115,000 miles on it. I would keep looking around. Be careful looking at engine and remember if its a JDM motor its straight out of Japan. Finding parts is ganna be a bitch finding and than you would have to wait until parts will get to you. Evo motors are hard to find for a good price, but this will give you time to save up. Also keep in mind that an evo is a 4 wheel drive and b/c of that more money and work has to be done to the car to become 4 wheel drive. It could be done, but you have to be whilling to spend to do this project. Goodluck!!

Banned
    dude, be realistic.

You have to Pay to Play.
    Last edited by platano; 01-10-2009 at 12:02 AM

i cant remember if its the 4 or 5 thats spun complete opposite of what you need. anyway i would hold off for a number of reasons, 1 it might be the wrong motor and 2 if your looking to spend between 2 and 4 g's on a motor you would be better off building your own meaning buying parts and sending you core pieces to the machine shop and let them do machine and assemble it for you this way you know you have a fresh motor and you learn more about your project. and 3 buying a jdm motor you in for a bunch of surprises when you have to replace parts.
    GL

I would listen to everyone here, they know what their talking about, I also agree with xd_01. Your better off using that money building your own engine, couple of people have great numbers from that.

Ya, I thought about dropping an evo engine in as well, but the more I researched, and talked to the mechs at RRE, the more I realized that it would be best to get a 6 bolt 4g63, and put a big 16g turbo and according parts, ie. larger injectors, better BOV, etc.
    A ricer is someone who believes that lights, stickers, useless parts, stupid driving and any other abnormal or dangerous driving habits help them in their need for speed or attention.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xd_01 View Post
    i cant remember if its the 4 or 5 thats spun complete opposite of what you need. anyway i would hold off for a number of reasons, 1 it might be the wrong motor and 2 if your looking to spend between 2 and 4 g's on a motor you would be better off building your own meaning buying parts and sending you core pieces to the machine shop and let them do machine and assemble it for you this way you know you have a fresh motor and you learn more about your project. and 3 buying a jdm motor you in for a bunch of surprises when you have to replace parts.
    GL
    the evo 1-3 are oriented like the DSMs 4-9 are oriented like our motors. Either way, XD01 is right about surprises with JDM motors. I bought a JDM EVO VII motor out of a 2002 WIHT 40,000 miles, paid the shop to take it apart, check it, polish the crank, replace the bearings and piston rings, replace the oil and water pump, put the damn thing back together and one of the pistons cracked about a month later. If I would have spent another $1000 I could have built a fresh motor with new high performance pistons and rods, and not worried about anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Thanks for the feedback.

Galantfan88- I would not have to worry about the 4WD when i put in the 5-speed swap from the Eclipse. Bolts right up and keeps the car FWD.

So this pretty much answered the question i was looking for, is it better to buy this engine (evo 4) or spend the extra on an evo 8-9. Sounds like the EVO 8-9 would be the better way to go. But i was wondering if there is anywhere to order a crate engine 63 or is that too high of a price. I have tried to look it up, but cant seem to find anything. And when you guys say build my own engine, do you mean do the head swap, turbo, and all to the 2.4 thats in my car now? Wouldnt the 4g63 have more potienal for power?

Okay, so i am going to open this up a little and ask what you guys think is the better set-up, built 2.4 or 4g63.

I have a new job working in the steel industry and i am going to be making about $72000, which is about $27000 more than what me and my wife grossed last year together. So the work on the G is going to start real soon. I just need help with which route is best.

O wow!! I learn something new everyday:) I didnt know that

Look at Cali's old setup. Evo motor and eclipse 5-speed. If i wanted to go AWD i would push past the 63 and go for the 6a13tt, but that would be an impossible build! I will stick with this.

Quote Originally Posted by 2002BlackDragon View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.

Galantfan88- I would not have to worry about the 4WD when i put in the 5-speed swap from the Eclipse. Bolts right up and keeps the car FWD.

So this pretty much answered the question i was looking for, is it better to buy this engine (evo 4) or spend the extra on an evo 8-9. Sounds like the EVO 8-9 would be the better way to go. But i was wondering if there is anywhere to order a crate engine 63 or is that too high of a price. I have tried to look it up, but cant seem to find anything. And when you guys say build my own engine, do you mean do the head swap, turbo, and all to the 2.4 thats in my car now? Wouldnt the 4g63 have more potienal for power?

Okay, so i am going to open this up a little and ask what you guys think is the better set-up, built 2.4 or 4g63.

I have a new job working in the steel industry and i am going to be making about $72000, which is about $27000 more than what me and my wife grossed last year together. So the work on the G is going to start real soon. I just need help with which route is best.
    I personally would build the 2.4 and do the headswap and 5 speed swap. It doesnt make sense to buy a EVO motor for $3,000 when you can build your own and turbo it for $4000 and have a stronger, fresh motor. if you do end up going with the EVO motor, go EVO8, thats it, EVO9 has mivec which you wont want to mess with wiring that up, and the JDM motors are a pita to get parts for, trust me, I waited 3 months for a water pump.
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Cool, thanks Stewi. So if i am going to build up the 2.4, should i go buy one that has less miles than mine (112xxx) or is rebuilding it fine? What is the best head to use, Kia or EVO? And i cant seem to find the tut/build thread for a 2.4, is there not one? What is the estimated power gains for doin all of this? How does it compair with and EVO swap? And how would it stand to bein ran hard since the car will be a DD and taken to the track on occasions?

Quote Originally Posted by 2002BlackDragon View Post
    Cool, thanks Stewi. So if i am going to build up the 2.4, should i go buy one that has less miles than mine (112xxx) or is rebuilding it fine? What is the best head to use, Kia or EVO? And i cant seem to find the tut/build thread for a 2.4, is there not one? What is the estimated power gains for doin all of this? How does it compair with and EVO swap? And how would it stand to bein ran hard since the car will be a DD and taken to the track on occasions?

No problem. I will help when I can but understand that im not going to spoon feed you the info you need to do this. Its a covered topic over on club3g. Please check out club3g.com in the RS/GS performance section and the forced induction section. You will find 99% of the info you need in those threads.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Ok, cool. I appreaite you not spoon feeding me. I guess it would help if i had an account on Club3g, huh. Guess i will go do this now and start the research! Thanks for all of the help.

Hey dont know if this is still going but I found an Evo engine and not sure if you would be interested??? Their is an Evo motor on Ebay for sale but people are already bidding on it so right now its up to 2,000 just in case you are interested heres the item number.