The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Leather Dye...

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12
    You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar

Leather Dye...

Ok, so Im looking for a quality Leather Dye to dye my newly acquired rear leather seats. [Thx 2 JeffyLou ;) ]. And I already have the Front 3G Leather Black Seats, and now I want to match the rear. The current color of the rear leather seat is gray.

I looked around the forums, but I want some members to chime in with there recommendations. Experiences with Applications of the dye and all. What to do and not to do... Etc.
    Also the OEM seats are leather right? Or are they man made materials? Thx :)
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

Jeez ur telln me no1 has dyed their interior b4?
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

Black dyeing

Dyeing the seats black shouldn't be too much of a problem. You've probably got it as easy as it gets. I'd get on google for some dye recommendations.

My guess is you won't need to strip it or anything (since you're doing black). Just find a leatherworking site or something and get yourself a kit of some kind. Most sites should sell a ready to go assortment of cleaners and preparatory chemicals all in a kit. Then just get yourself a black dye and follow the directions.

Sorry I couldn't be more help than that. I'm looking to do some dyeing soon, but I haven't done much beyond preliminary research. Let me know what you decide, and good luck.
    2000 Mitsubishi Galant (totalled by semi, RIP)

2000 Mitsubishi Galant - Bought off Craigslist, received organ donation from last one:
    - Engine/5spd trans/interior/suspension/brakes/etc. all moved from old car
    - 5spd | Outlander IM | StopTech BBK | Defi VSD-X HUD

If you find anything good, post it, I am looking to dye my leather black as well.
    A ricer is someone who believes that lights, stickers, useless parts, stupid driving and any other abnormal or dangerous driving habits help them in their need for speed or attention.

use SEM products. They may be fairly pricey but they come in a spray can. Id say youll need 2-3 can for the job. I cant remember what exactly its called. I have black 3g seats with the rear dyed black. I think its called SEM Color Coat

Quote Originally Posted by charris View Post
    Dyeing the seats black shouldn't be too much of a problem. You've probably got it as easy as it gets. I'd get on google for some dye recommendations.

My guess is you won't need to strip it or anything (since you're doing black). Just find a leatherworking site or something and get yourself a kit of some kind. Most sites should sell a ready to go assortment of cleaners and preparatory chemicals all in a kit. Then just get yourself a black dye and follow the directions.

Sorry I couldn't be more help than that. I'm looking to do some dyeing soon, but I haven't done much beyond preliminary research. Let me know what you decide, and good luck.
    Thx, some input is better than none :)

Quote Originally Posted by Kwikfox View Post
    If you find anything good, post it, I am looking to dye my leather black as well.
    I will, maybe even a tutorial...
    Quote Originally Posted by 00galantguy View Post
    use SEM products. They may be fairly pricey but they come in a spray can. Id say youll need 2-3 can for the job. I cant remember what exactly its called. I have black 3g seats with the rear dyed black. I think its called SEM Color Coat
    Ok cool, so you have the setup that Im going for. Is that the product that you used? Does it look even? Any pix?
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Ok cool, so you have the setup that Im going for. Is that the product that you used? Does it look even? Any pix?[/QUOTE]

I started out with it but I only had one can. It looked good but definitely not dark enough with just one can. But then I found this stuff at autozone. It was called vinyl paint. Dont use it. It cracks hardddd core. I cheaped out. Don't cheap out. Use the good stuff and be patient

Quote Originally Posted by 00galantguy View Post
    Ok cool, so you have the setup that Im going for. Is that the product that you used? Does it look even? Any pix?
    I started out with it but I only had one can. It looked good but definitely not dark enough with just one can. But then I found this stuff at autozone. It was called vinyl paint. Dont use it. It cracks hardddd core. I cheaped out. Don't cheap out. Use the good stuff and be patient[/QUOTE]

LOL! Ok, I was referred to that Company by another friend as well. Im gonna look it up and hopefully have enough to get it. If not I'll save up. Thx again.
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post

LOL! Ok, I was referred to that Company by another friend as well. Im gonna look it up and hopefully have enough to get it. If not I'll save up. Thx again.
    Did you find a good source for buying the SEM? I'm getting ready to do mine, too.

2000 Mitsubishi Galant - Bought off Craigslist, received organ donation from last one:

No not yet, Ive got this on hold right now, had to do some work to pass smog this week, and have something else coming in the mail rt now. But plan to get started on this sooner than later. I will def post pix once I do so...
    JDM Zenki Conversion

00galantguy, can you furnish any more info on the SEM color coat? I think I've found the stuff, but it's not the most informative or reputable looking page.

Where did you get yours? Is it anything like this?
    http://www.worlduph.com/semdye.htm
    Is it still in good shape? I'm paranoid about flaking.

I got the leather installed, and I'm looking to paint it now. It looks horrible at this point, since it doesn't match the interior...