The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Center Speaker with Aftermarket Amp

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

Center Speaker with Aftermarket Amp

Okay. First off I will tell you what I am working with.

I have a Dual head unit. I don't remember what the model name is. It is the one that the front folds down to reveal the blue screen. That is all I can really tell you. The front two channels on this head unit are sent to line level input on the amp via speaker wire. (I know, ghetto. It doesn't have RCA style outputs on the back.) The rear two channels are untouched and just cut.

The amp is a Kicker ZX350.4. The amp is pushing two 5.25 Memphis components (4ohms) in the front two doors. (I know, too small speaker size for door. I built a bracket. Ghetto again.) They are wired one for each channel. The rear deck still holds my stock Infinity 6x9"s. (4ohms again I think.)

I want to put a center speaker in. I have this speaker that is probably 4" in diameter and it has 8ohms stamped on the back. It is fairly dinky (thrice ghetto), but good enough for a center speaker I suppose. Would it be best for me to move the amp's input to the back two channels on the head unit and would it work to wire the front two channels on the head unit in parallel to run the center speaker as summed mono? Or would that fry my head unit?

I could always run it bridged from the amp's outputs. L+ to R-, right? or L+ & R+ to L- & R- parallel?

Please tell me how to do this. If this is gonna cut my wattage from the amp, it is okay because I still have PLENTY of gain left to pump out more watts. The amp puts out almost double what is rated max for the speakers.

that amp is supposed to have amp outputs i had one in my first car back in 03 i would hate to think duel is going back in time to stupidly inadequate headunits

if the speaker is 8 ohms then you should be able to get away with splitting it off of the rear channels if its 4ohm then your HU is fucked +to purple -to the green w/ black thats it. DONT then hook up the other two wires together just tape or cap them off

Quote Originally Posted by ricky_db View Post
    that amp is supposed to have amp outputs i had one in my first car back in 03 i would hate to think duel is going back in time to stupidly inadequate headunits

if the speaker is 8 ohms then you should be able to get away with splitting it off of the rear channels if its 4ohm then your HU is fucked +to purple -to the green w/ black thats it. DONT then hook up the other two wires together just tape or cap them off
    Nope. This is the walmart head unit. I got it for 100 bucks.

It only has one set of RCA outs and it is for the subs.

So you are saying, left + to right - and tape the other two off? This is going to give me both signals left and right put into one?

That doesn't make sense to me because the signal would be only from the left.

no take the green solid wire for the positive and and the purple w/ black for the negative wire. there are two set set of speaker wires coming from the back of the radio on is green the other is purple those two are for the back the white and the grey are for the front. ONLY DO THIS IF THE SPEAKER IS 8OHMS