The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Somethings Definantly Wrong With My Car

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 27 of 27
    You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 6G72Galant View Post
    Im still getting this noise in the video. But now my car continues to make this noise even after i let it warm up for 5-10 minutes. Tonite it made this noise for about 45 minutes after i started it up. Even while driving, it was still making that rattling noise. However, after about 45 minutes or so the sound slowly went away. WTF? I asked someone at Advance and they told me it might be my valves needing to be adjusted. Somone also said the rings on my pistons might need to be replaced. Any ideas?
    tell the guy from advance to retire from life.

The valve lash doesnt get adjusted on our cars, thats why they have hydraulic lifters. Usually when you have a noise like that and then it mysteriously goes away, it means something is going to go very wrong, very soon. I would check the T-belt components, try changing your oil and draining the old oil into a clean container. examine the oil, put a magnet inside the oil and move it around a bit and see if it picks up anything interesting. If something is banging around inside the motor, there will be metal shavings in the oil
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow19 View Post
    When you replaced your timing belt did you replace the tensioner?
    Umm...no. But it was making this noise before i changed my timing and serpentine belt.

BUT when i had my timing belt replaced, i guess the belt tensioner had overtightened and caused the timing belt to jump a tooth. Because i was throwing a CEL immediately afterwards and the idle was crap. So i had to take it back into the shop and get it fixed. But its been running fine ever since, except for the rattling noise at startup.

***I never knew you could replace the belt tensioner. Im going to price one today.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    tell the guy from advance to retire from life.

The valve lash doesnt get adjusted on our cars, thats why they have hydraulic lifters. Usually when you have a noise like that and then it mysteriously goes away, it means something is going to go very wrong, very soon. I would check the T-belt components, try changing your oil and draining the old oil into a clean container. examine the oil, put a magnet inside the oil and move it around a bit and see if it picks up anything interesting. If something is banging around inside the motor, there will be metal shavings in the oil
    I notice that it normally does this noise more frequently when i need an oil change. Im going to change it today. So ill check for any metal shavings.

But you really think this problem is connected to the timing belt? Because like i said, it doesnt make this noise all the time during a cold start. It just does it most of the time. So should i be focusing most of my attention on the belt tensioner? Ive heard that Mitsubishi is notorious for having very sensitive tensioners. But like i said too, usually this noise goes away once the engine warms up. However, on some occasions its been doing this even after warming up. And at this point i really cant afford to have my baby shit the bed. So im going to be checking into all this.:(

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6G72Galant View Post
    Umm...no. But it was making this noise before i changed my timing and serpentine belt.

BUT when i had my timing belt replaced, i guess the belt tensioner had overtightened and caused the timing belt to jump a tooth. Because i was throwing a CEL immediately afterwards and the idle was crap. So i had to take it back into the shop and get it fixed. But its been running fine ever since, except for the rattling noise at startup.

***I never knew you could replace the belt tensioner. Im going to price one today.

I notice that it normally does this noise more frequently when i need an oil change. Im going to change it today. So ill check for any metal shavings.

But you really think this problem is connected to the timing belt? Because like i said, it doesnt make this noise all the time during a cold start. It just does it most of the time. So should i be focusing most of my attention on the belt tensioner? Ive heard that Mitsubishi is notorious for having very sensitive tensioners. But like i said too, usually this noise goes away once the engine warms up. However, on some occasions its been doing this even after warming up. And at this point i really cant afford to have my baby shit the bed. So im going to be checking into all this.:(
    Mine made a weird noise for about a week then i tore the side of the motor apart and couldnt find the culprit. 5 months later it came back to haunt me. I replaced the lash adjusters and that wasnt the problem. Not thinking it could be the tensioner i ripped the motor out thinking it was the stubby shaft that i installed in the oil pump when i removed the balance shafts. The only way i knew it was the tensioner was because i was turning the motor by hand and i noticed that the belt was extremely loose then i looked at the tensioner and all the hydraulic fluid inside of it was leaking out of it..... So i would start there man. If its an internal problem i HIGHLY doubt the noise would go away but get worse as the revs go up. But mitsus are weird like that.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    Are you using Mitsubishi OE oil filters? If not, you should be.

Thats crazy, you will never need anything more than 5w20, 5w30, 5w40 or 10w30 in a passenger car. 0w40 if in extreme cold climates. Just use a better oil as in a synthetic oil like Mobil One or AMSoil. If you want to use a higher weight oil use 10w30 or 5w40. No need to go anything past that.
    is it a must to use the OE oil filters? the previous owner gave me a few when i bought his car but i didn't use them in the recent oil change.. i used what the workshop provided.. some powerflow brand or something..

since you're also in illinois.. do you experience a 'more rough than usual' idling during the winter than in the summer? my engine is noticeably louder both from the outside and the cabin although it doesn't sound as bad as the threadstarter's engine.. also i can feel my steering wheel vibrate a little..

it becomes much quieter from inside the cabin and nearly all the vibration goes away after the engine warms up.. im juz wondering if this is normal during cold starts or is it because im using the non-OE oil filter.. my first winter with a car by the way.. =D
    Last edited by amdrocks; 02-22-2009 at 10:01 AM

Experienced TGC Member
    Anybody got a part number on that belt tensioner? Im pricing some of them at Advance and they start at $57. Im headed back into work now so ill get a part number and compare it with whatever you guys can provide me with. Thanks.

Experienced TGC Member
    Timing belt tensioner
    Idler pulley
    Belt tensioner pulley
    Water pump

All replaced. Noise gone.....$900 later.....

i thought that it was something wrong with my galant too but i have seen another ones that make the same noise so i think that is normal for galants...!!! actually i heard that noise when it is cold after to get warm if u stay quiet and pay attention u will feel it too but its not to loud whe it is warm...!!! thats what i have seen with mine...!!!
    My Mk4 is like a Black Hole you enter in it and who the hell knows what'll happen next???
    I sure don't, do you?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12