The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: What Oil???

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 28 of 28
    Quote Originally Posted by littlerick View Post
    i've always used 5w30 castrol and either oem filter or k&n and i'm at 81k and never had any problems. i think it depends on the temp where you live on what weight oil to get. i live in the south so not that cold and gets fairly hot in the summer. i was told before i could use 10w30 in the summer because its thicker but i've always stuck with 5w30
    So 5w30 with k&n would be fine all year around..

Gbaby2089
    alright thanks yall!!!!!

thats what i would stick with but others on here know way more than i do so i'm sure they can tell you for sure

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    The viscosity of a lubricant is closely related to its ability to reduce friction. Generally, you want the thinnest liquid/oil which still forces the two moving surfaces apart. If the lubricant is too thick, it will require a lot of energy to move the surfaces (such as in honey); if it is too thin, the surfaces will rub and friction will increase. The viscosity of liquids decreases as temperature increases.

So in warmer climates like in the south or in the summer time you want to run 10w 30 motor oil as it has a higher viscosity..but you will reach a higher temp thresh hold and the oil will "thin" out enough to still lubricate. Cooler temps like the north or winter you want to run a more thin viscosity oil as temp thresh holds are not as high.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Gbaby2089
    alright so 10w30 in the summer and 5w30 in the winter! thanks 4 G Rim

blue8g
    cool, i was hoping i wouldn't be the one to ask this question...

Experienced TGC Member
    WINTER/COLD > Lighter weight oil
    SUMMER/HOT > Heavier weight oil

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12