The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: A/T Filter addition

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20
    Nemesis

A/T Filter addition

I have a GTZ, and looking at my buddy's Eclipse GT, I noticed he had an A/T filer (right of the block, just under the intake pipe), while my GTZ has the fitting, but the hole is filled by a plug. Can I just get the threaded fitting and install the filter? Do I need a special tool to remove the plug?

The 2000 and up Galants put the filter internally in the transmission. That's why the hole is plugged. You have a filter, just can't get to it easily anymore.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

ALL galant trannies have the internal filter.
    the external filter was deleted around 2000, as it was redundant and not needed.

The internal filter is not servicable unless the trans is disassembled. And the external filter is not needed, unless you have an early production car.

Nemesis
    As far as redundant goes, I agree. I've got a shop manual and to change the internal filter is something to be saved for a 100K mile total retune or an overhaul. However, as far as "not needed" goes, I offer the following:

1. The Eclipse engine in my buddy's totally stock car is identical, save the chip and the exhaust, and boasts more HP and torque. (I'm NOT saying the adding a filter is going to give you more power, but its inclusion indicates the Eclipse trans, possibly due to the TripTronic generating more crap that needs to be filtered)
    2. I did an ATF flush at 30K miles and there was A LOT of crap in the fluid. (mostly brown clutch dust, but crap nevertheless)
    3. The transmission cooling system on the GTZ uses a low pressure pump and small diameter tubing, which could be prone to clogging.
    4. Filters and fluid are cheaper than engine metal. I'd like to keep my car a long time, and the cleaner the ATF, the better.
    5. For those of you with power mods without a tranny improvement are gonna have more tranny wear than spec, which will cause more tranny crap. That crap needs to be removed.

With that said, I feel adding an additional filter to be a good thing, and something I want to do. I totally appreciate the postings so far, but I'm convinced adding the filter would give the tranny significantly extended longevity. So I return to my original question...How do I remove the plug and add the filter?

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis
    As far as redundant goes, I agree. I've got a shop manual and to change the internal filter is something to be saved for a 100K mile total retune or an overhaul. However, as far as "not needed" goes, I offer the following:

1. The Eclipse engine in my buddy's totally stock car is identical, save the chip and the exhaust, and boasts more HP and torque. (I'm NOT saying the adding a filter is going to give you more power, but its inclusion indicates the Eclipse trans, possibly due to the TripTronic generating more crap that needs to be filtered)
    2. I did an ATF flush at 30K miles and there was A LOT of crap in the fluid. (mostly brown clutch dust, but crap nevertheless)
    3. The transmission cooling system on the GTZ uses a low pressure pump and small diameter tubing, which could be prone to clogging.
    4. Filters and fluid are cheaper than engine metal. I'd like to keep my car a long time, and the cleaner the ATF, the better.
    5. For those of you with power mods without a tranny improvement are gonna have more tranny wear than spec, which will cause more tranny crap. That crap needs to be removed.

With that said, I feel adding an additional filter to be a good thing, and something I want to do. I totally appreciate the postings so far, but I'm convinced adding the filter would give the tranny significantly extended longevity. So I return to my original question...How do I remove the plug and add the filter?
    1)ALL early trannies had the filter, including galants. its NOT just an eclipse thing. And it was deleted from all of them
    2)thats normal
    3)its not going to clog unless there is either neglect involved, or a catastophic failure of some kind. Changing the fluid every 30K should be plenty, but if your worried, do it once a year.
    4)The idea is to have a cheaper service for the life of the car, which theyve pretty much accomplished
    5)Mods are gonna cause that wear regardless. The only thing you really need to do in that case is step up your maintenence schedual.

basically, its not possible. The lines are not drilled, and the threads are not tapped. You would need to remove the tranny, disassemble it, and machine it the rest of the way. All for something that the mitsu engineers decided was not important enough to keep.

So im afraid your kinda out of luck with this.

Nemesis
    Got it. Well, it's a bit of a disappointment, but it's certainly more trouble than it's worth. I appreciate the response.

I have a 99 GTZ and it has the external trans filter(screw on) on the top of the case its only $12 for a new OE filter the car also has a replaceable filter under the front pan facing the front of the car I have replace both every 7K miles the top one gets dirty(sludge etc.) so to me its benificial more filtering the better on A/T cars. Mitsu cuts things to save money $12 for a new filter and I can see the results (dirty filter when removed) to me 2000-up what a shame to be missing it Mitsu has great ideas then they cut simple low cost things to save a buck and increase there profits.

over Filtering never heard of that -------Dissasemble the pan I will take fuc*** pics for you the next time in there ---- what a waste of a post below

Quote Originally Posted by MITZA
    I have a 99 GTZ and it has the external trans filter(screw on) on the top of the case its only $12 for a new OE filter the car also has a replaceable filter under the front pan facing the front of the car I have replace both every 7K miles the top one gets dirty(sludge etc.) so to me its benificial more filtering the better on A/T cars. Mitsu cuts things to save money $12 for a new filter and I can see the results (dirty filter when removed) to me 2000-up what a shame to be missing it Mitsu has great ideas then they cut simple low cost things to save a buck and increase there profits.
    first, the internal filter is NOT replacable without a total teardown.

second, the external filter caused more problems than it fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by manybrews
    first, the internal filter is NOT replacable without a total teardown.

second, the external filter caused more problems than it fixed.
    First quit being so damn defensive do you engineer the mitsu transaxle?

-Second have you pulled the front pan on the V6 Galant? If so whats bolted to the valve body a cleanable/replacable filter?

Here are the parts I bought below

FILTER, Galant, Internal, 3.0L, From 4/3/99 99-03 $21.02

FILTER, Galant, External 1999 $11.18

-Third I really don't give a Fuc* I'm not going to battle over someone elses question My trans and my friends 99 GTZ his has 98K miles on it mine 17K now wheres the extra wear from the external filter both cars shifts the same (PERFECT) or as perfect as the galant trans is made to be LOL!!!

I just gave my input as you did all over this post. I will keep my info to myself that seems to be the smarter route to take I'm thinking I should join the others and get rid of the Damn galant on this board theres more negative than positive when someone asks and replys to a question. Your losing good members!

First quit being so damn defensive do you engineer the mitsu transaxle?

-Second have you pulled the front pan on the V6 Galant? If so whats bolted to the valve body a cleanable/replacable filter?
    yes, i have, being as ive worked for mitsu for 11 years.
    there is NOTHING bolted to the valve body. apparently you havent taken one apart yet, as the internal filter is inserted from the side, directly into the transaxle case. Its not removable without splitting the case halves.

Here are the parts I bought below

FILTER, Galant, Internal, 3.0L, From 4/3/99 99-03 $21.02

FILTER, Galant, External 1999 $11.18

-Third I really don't give a Fuc* I'm not going to battle over someone elses question My trans and my friends 99 GTZ his has 98K miles on it mine 17K now wheres the extra wear from the external filter both cars shifts the same (PERFECT) or as perfect as the galant trans is made to be LOL!!!

I just gave my input as you did all over this post. I will keep my info to myself that seems to be the smarter route to take I'm thinking I should join the others and get rid of the Damn galant on this board theres more negative than positive when someone asks and replys to a question. Your losing good members!
    what are you freaking out on me for?
    i hardly think giving incorrect advice qualifies as a good post, do you? I was mearly correcting your post.
    Had you read what I had already posted, you would have seen that your advice was incorrect.

heres a picture, and as youll see, the filter has nothing to do with the valve body. the valve body here is located on the front of the trans, as you probably already know.

over Filtering never heard of that -------Dissasemble the pan I will take fuc*** pics for you the next time in there ---- what a waste of a post below
    oh, really.
    on the what... 3 cars youve worked on in your life?

Howabout this, brainiac... the fluid coming out of that circuit goes to lubricate the planetary gearset. If the filter clogs, the trans dies. Period.
    if the fluid gets restricted in anyway, the gearset is starved for fluid.
    Being as most people NEVER service their trannies, its a much better choice to delete it as compared to destroying the transaxle.

next time you try talking about something, make sure you know something about it first.

oh, really.

Howabout this, brainiac... the fluid coming out of that circuit goes to lubricate the planetary gearset. If the filter clogs, the trans dies. Period.
    Being as most people NEVER service their trannies, its a much better choice to delete it as compared to destroying the transaxle.

next time you try talking about something, make sure you know something about it first.

Really nice you still do not show the valve body area, have you opened one of these trans??? call a mitsu dealer ask them if the internal filter is replacable without your tear down? 3 cars F-you if you only knew this is the family car your welcome to come to my location and see what the fuck I have in the garage this is not my prime car just the back up I'm not a teenager or some punk you better lighten the fuck up IF I had time I would talk to my mitsubishi master tech and get him on this post. I'm fucking done with this post and your ignorance any other post I will not reply or play this fucking game anyway who really gives a flying fuck my trans is fine and I don't care what the hell you think we will see whos goes longer on the road

Faction
    oh fucking come on, arguing over little things, get over it!

oh, really.

Really nice you still do not show the valve body area, have you opened one of these trans??? call a mitsu dealer ask them if the internal filter is replacable without your tear down? 3 cars F-you if you only knew this is the family car your welcom to come to my location and see what the fuck I have I'm not a teenager you better lighten the fuck up IF I had time I would talk to my master tech and get him on this post. I'm fucking done with this post and your ignorance any other post I will not reply or play this fucking game anyway who really gives a flying fuck
    bro, you may not be a teenager, but you acting like one. manybrews is like our in house tech. he does this EVERYDAY. sheesh.
    From Boost Addicts to Carbon Fanatics™ www.socalautowerks.com

Censee: Im trying to pimp some hoes for money for the lsd. 3/28/2011
    Cali: Sig 3/28/2011

I'm done

Lock the post

Really nice you still do not show the valve body area, have you opened one of these trans???

umm..what do you think THIS AREA IS???
    the valve body goes on the front, the filter in the side.

call a mitsu dealer ask them if the internal filter is replacable without your tear down?
    dont really need to... been working at a mitsu dealer for 11 years.

3 cars F-you if you only knew this is the family car your welcome to come to my location and see what the fuck I have in the garage this is not my prime car just the back up I'm not a teenager or some punk you better lighten the fuck up
    okie, dokie, tough guy.

IF I had time I would talk to my mitsubishi master tech and get him on this post.
    he'de tell you the exact same thing.

I'm fucking done with this post and your ignorance any other post I will not reply or play this fucking game anyway who really gives a flying fuck my trans is fine and I don't care what the hell you think we will see whos goes longer on the road
    youll be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Faction_03
    hey, sorry man.

I had no intention of arguing with the brain dead here, but when junior comes in and starts berating me about something hes got no knowledge about, i just have to defend myself.

for everyone else, i apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by Faction_03
    hey, sorry man.

I had no intention of arguing with the brain dead here, but when junior comes in and starts berating me about something hes got no knowlegde about, i just have to defend myself.

for everyone else, i apologize.
    Real nice

I had no intention of arguing with the brain dead here-Dumb ass remark

i just have to defend myself--Who started the argument?? you

This post is over how much further are you going to take it I like how you tried to attack me (character)

Real nice

I had no intention of arguing with the brain dead here-Dumb ass remark
    hey, i thought you werent going to post anymore.

Guess I couldnt be that lucky.

Real nice

i just have to defend myself--Who started the argument?? you
    umm.. that would be YOU, when you actually EDITED your post prior to mine to say "what a waste of a post".
    of course, you being as smart as you are must have realized this.