The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Anyone Else Had/Has Problems With Their Automatic Trany?

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12
    Nyght Ryderz Galant

Anyone Else Had/Has Problems With Their Automatic Trany?

This past weekend I was coming home from Pittsburgh and my trany went. I was just seeing if this has happened to anyone else or was it just my luck. Also does anyone know where I can locate another auto trany because I have a warrenty on the car but they will only cover an auto being put back in. So much for my 5 speed swap. :cry: Any help would greatly be appriciated because right now the garage where my car is at can not find a trany that's near by and neither can the warrenty company. FYI: I'm about an hour outside of Pittsburgh. Thanks all. Peace.

buy one from mitsu.
    i garantee any aftermarket rebuilds are crap.

never seen one that wasnt.

brandenblazeRR
    well i thought my tranny was covered under warranty and they laughed cuz they said i abused it HOW in the world can you tell a tranny is abused anyway the new one cost about 3200 after taxes ,, and now i have tranny trouble again, and its only a year or two old ,

escoson
    i got my car september 30th 2002(just a few months ago) tranny went at 7200 miles. they said i abused it to (what a coincidence eh?) but they put a new one in and gave me a bunch of shit about how there gonna "watch my car" and all this crap. after they installed the new trans itsw running fine but now there is a sound like "zzzzzzzzzzzzzooooo" comming from my engine when after i rev and the rev sound dies down towards the sound stopping it gives off the "zzzzzzzzoooo" sound. they should focus on there engines and trannies intead of making new body styles.

Experienced TGC Member
    Same thing hapnd to my friend who now sold out and dumped his gride for a civic...

They refused to replace his auto I believe something about how he abused it (not totally sure), I do know he had his lawyer givem a call and there was a new tranny installed asap =D

Would defintly be worth 100 bucks to pay a lawyer to threaten them instead of dishing out 3200 for a new tranny even though its most likely mitsus fault. Apparently a LOT of peopleon this board have a/t troubles.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

actually, its usually quite easy to tell if there is abuse involved or not.

ablythe
    Just curious, how exactly can you tell?

Kain
    Quote Originally Posted by ablythe
    Just curious, how exactly can you tell?
    Planateries no longer being in single pieces is a good indicator. I've seen trannies that had spider gears sticking out the side of the case--abuse. Also, transmissions have an "expected life" generally no less than 100k miles, if they break before that, it's a good sign of abuse. There's other indicators, just like I can tell if you perform proper maintnance just by looking at your oil filler cap and radiator cap, they can look at your tranny fluid and tell if you've abused it.

its just something that you develope a sense for after overhauling 500 transaxles.
    there are normal circumstances (burnt fluid, leaks, failed seals, worn parts), and abnormal circumstances (broken input shafts, stripped splines, shattered gearsets).

Obviously, some cases are MUCH more obvious than others.

Experienced TGC Member
    But if an auto is driven like an auto meaning your just puting it in Drive and driving...then how could you be abusing it? Aside from never changing the fluid or filter...
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Quote Originally Posted by JiP
    But if an auto is driven like an auto meaning your just puting it in Drive and driving...then how could you be abusing it? Aside from never changing the fluid or filter...
    actually, that is a perfect case of abuse.

If there are no records of maintenence, the car has 100,000 miles on it, that IS considered abuse (or neglect, technically).

Experienced TGC Member
    I said "aside from never changing it" meaning you kept did change the fluid when you should and the damn thing still died...
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon