The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: am i getting jipped?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Showing results 41 to 43 of 43
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterbyfilms View Post
    You guys are kind of scaring me. I honestly know nothing about the transmission, and didn't think it could be bad to go get it flushed. I bought my car when it had close to 60K on it, and was under the impression that it had been properly serviced, but looking back, I now can't find the records, so I don't actually know what was done and what wasn't. I have just over 100K now. Am I going to mess up my car by going to get a transmission flush if it turns out it never got serviced before?
    I would be weary of suggesting it be flushed (if never serviced) and you are in excess of 100k miles.

Quote Originally Posted by 6G72Galant View Post
    So what is your suggestion for someone with over 100k and never changed trans. fluid before? Flush? Because i was always told its drain and fill. Even with engine oil and high mileage, its always best to drain and fill. Start adding all those "flushes" and then you run the risk of causing sludge to break free and form clogs in small passages.
    My suggestion to someone with over 100k who wants to change the trans fluid is to overhaul the transmission. A flush, and especially a drain and fill is not a proper service of your transmission system. A drain and fill is an incomplete service at best, and the properly remove the old fluid and contaminants out of your transmission (brakes, power steering, coolant, or even engine oil) you need to flush it and properly condition the rubber (and metal) seals, hoses, and gaskets.

IMO, flushing is only good when done on a regular basis from when the car is first purchased. Flushing high mileage cars is risky. Ive seen plenty of people come into my P/T job and my old job complaining about how their car ran like poo after having a flush.
    Flushing or draining and filling on a high mileage car is risky, that's exactly why I don't suggest messing with a car over 100k, unless you overhaul the transmission.

Flushing anything on a high mileage car is RISKY.:smt074
    I would revise that to say 'servicing anything on high mileage cars is potentially costly'.

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr View Post
    i'm not against replacing p/s fluid.
    but.... I'm going on what? 15 years and 200,000 chassis miles on the original fluid and parts. I even deleted the p/s cooler almost 2 years ago.
    no problems whatsoever. same as on my black GS, and my green ES

how much is a p/s flush? I'd just drain and fill it if it really bothered you.
    You may not have problems, but regardless the power steering is the highest pressure system on the car, and there is a reason you have a cooler in many cases to help cool the fluid, it gets quite hot, and boils promoting far worse wear to power steering parts than nearly anything else in your engine bay.

Quote Originally Posted by 6G72Galant View Post
    Same here, well almost. Ive got 143k on my trans. and never flushed it or drained it and have had no issues at all. Other than some slippage which was attributed to the shot motor/trans. mount, its been running smooth ever since.
    Don't flush it.

Quote Originally Posted by BGR View Post
    I'm not one to talk as I don't replace or flush the fluids as often as the manual states, but IMO, when it comes to servicing the transmission or the power steering (like what DOHCStunner is talking about), I would say the transmission is far more important and should be attended to just like when you change your oil (not at the same intervals, but at least do it once every couple years or so). I mean, the steering mechanism only moves only so much and so far, whereas the gears in the transmission are moving extremely fast and connecting with each other as the transmission automatically moves between gears; A lot more contact and wear in the transmission. I've had mine done 3 times over the last 9 years.

Edit -
    Let me rephrase that. The power steering is import, too, however, unless there is severe damage, you'll still be able to steer the car - albeit maybe it won't have power assist.

Myself, I wouldn't even be too concerned with the power steering unless I had a PS fluid leak, in which I would have 1) have it checked, and 2) be prepared to have the pump replaced. I already experienced this with my Sentra.
    The power steering as stated above is the highest pressure system on the car, and that means there is a load of heat produced in that system. Fortunately in the next few years electronic steering should be the norm, eliminating this as a potential fluid to cause failures on motor vehicles. I personally would suggest you maintain your transmission moreso than your power steering mostly because it is often ten times the cost to remove and replace the transmission than your p/s pump or even the rack and pinion.

Thanks for the info, I think many of us have bought our cars used and are unsure of how a previous owner maintained the vehicle. I wasn't too car savvy when I first bought my Galant, so I really have no idea what has been done. All I know is that I've changed my oil regularly, and maintained what seemed to need it. I have never had any problems with my car except for the Mitsubishi tick on and off.
    Does anyone know if there is a way to find out what service may have been done to your vehicle before you bought it? My only guess was that you could track what had been done at the dealer if the car had always been in your area, but other than that, is there a way to find out?
    })({ Heather })({

- "If you never take risks, you'll have a wasted soul."

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterbyfilms View Post
    Thanks for the info, I think many of us have bought our cars used and are unsure of how a previous owner maintained the vehicle. I wasn't too car savvy when I first bought my Galant, so I really have no idea what has been done. All I know is that I've changed my oil regularly, and maintained what seemed to need it. I have never had any problems with my car except for the Mitsubishi tick on and off.
    Does anyone know if there is a way to find out what service may have been done to your vehicle before you bought it? My only guess was that you could track what had been done at the dealer if the car had always been in your area, but other than that, is there a way to find out?
    The Mitsubishi dealership should be able to look up any and all service records (if the car had been serviced at Mitsubishi dealers) without a problem. Other than that it would be up in the air to determine when and where the car was previously serviced. If you bought it from a private owner you can always ask them, if a dealer...not so much.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123