The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Crazy Problem With audio system 2009

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19
    Heated Heavy

Crazy Problem With audio system 2009

OK so I have a 2009 galant and I installed a kenwood aftermarket CD deck. haven't upgraded my inside speakers yet but I did get an jl audio 1000/1 slasher and jl 12 w7 with 4 awg wiring all the way around. Well the lights dimming is ridiculous. And when I crank it up to about 28 29 on the volume the deck will turn off. Now I'm not sure but When I was taking a turn with the system real loud and the radio cut out but I not sure if the car had died or stuttered or I hit a bump but it felt weird but when the radio cut off I was still able to drive. Anybody able to assist me with any of this please I'm going crazy.

Experienced TGC Member showtime's Avatar
    you need a HUGE capacitor!!! Your amp is sucking all of the power from your battery and alternator so it cant power anything else.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i6_capacitors.html

I would get at least a 2.0 farad capacitor, the higher the more power the actual capacitor can store. Power Acoustik has very good capacitors, their 3 farad is what I had and I had no problems with it acting up or the lights dimming.

Yeah def get a power cap and DONT buy used ones unless they are from a good source ive had my luck with used ones that blow. Also replace the fuse if it blew not sure what it is in the 09 but i believe it should be under the hood

~Gabe

When I feel like eating a banana, I like to go to the zoo, sucker punch a gorilla and try to run with a banana hanging out my bum. Then if I succeed, I enjoy my victory with said banana and a stroopwaffle.

sound like the amp overheating and shutting off to me.

check the power wires going to everything check the grounds and all the other cables.

my system used to cut out when i would turn it up real loud. the amp was overheating and shutting off. once i lowered the volume 30 sec later it came back on.

is your amp in a well ventalated area?

and if your going to waste money on capacitor get like a 15 farad one.

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Quote Originally Posted by kolio View Post
    and if your going to waste money on capacitor get like a 15 farad one.
    Wasting money on a power capacitor wont be an issue if youve checked all the given possible problems all the members have addressed. Your batter can only shoot out a certain amount of power, if your stereo or system is taking up the majority, it wont allow the rest of the car to be powered, thus causing dimming.

~Gabe

When I feel like eating a banana, I like to go to the zoo, sucker punch a gorilla and try to run with a banana hanging out my bum. Then if I succeed, I enjoy my victory with said banana and a stroopwaffle.

The JL 1000/1 should not overheat, its one of the top amps in the market. I'm not saying it cant overheat but its very rare. If all the wires are secure, invest in a capacitor and you problem should go away.

Also I heard if your rocking over 1000 watts that you should use less than 4 gauge...might want to think about that. The 4 gauge might not be able to send enough power so the amp turns off when its up real loud.

Heated Heavy
    Thanks for all the comments guys I really appreciate it.

The amp is in the trunk with plenty of room to breath. The wires are nice and tight. Ill have to keep it down until I get a farad 15 I guess.

you dont necessarily need a 15 farad, but NOTHING will dim or shut off if you get a 15 farad. A 5 Farad Capacitor would be enough IMO.

rocgalant
    I always read (Crutchfield and from car audio forums) that if you're having dimming problems, that you need to upgrade your charging system (battery, alt). A super big cap can temporarily mask the problem but eventually, the cap drains and you still end up putting too much strain on your electrical system. Something like putting too much water in a bucket- the cap is like a towel or sponge to soap up the excess water but the towel gets full too with enough water- so a larger bucket is needed. The metaphor is something like that.

Heated Heavy
    Damn I don't wanna replace my alternator. And I just rechecked my ground cable to the metal and its melting holy fuck I disconnected it. I don't think the connection was real tight though. More help please. Do I use 2 awg for the ground I aint using the 1000 rms to need it.
    Last edited by Heated Heavy; 03-02-2009 at 02:56 PM

rocgalant
    Check this out-
    http://www.the12volt.com/info/recwirsz.asp

4 ga is only good at 1000rms up to 8 ft. You're probably better off with 2 ga just to be double sure.
    Crutchfield has a pretty rudimentary way to estimate how much current your alt can handle too-
    http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/lea...rs_faq.html#10
    I have the 09 Sport model which has a 110 amp alternator. I figured that the had an add'l 45 amperes in reserve for other things-like an amp. Based on that article, I think a high limit cap may actually just what is needed on second thought. Hope this helps.

You can solve the problem without getting a new alternator. Just get a capacitor and upgrade your wires to 2 gauge, if that doesnt work upgrade your battery (optima IMO) and then if your still having problems you might want to think about upgrading your alternator.

Heated Heavy
    OK I got down and dirty with my car and put 8 guage speaker wire for the jl sub. made a new ground through 2 sheets of metal for extra goodness bolted the shit outta the new 4 awg. And stupid me the ground for the battery was pretty damn loose. I bet that had alot to do with the lights dimming. Took the car for a long drive today with it blaring and did not turn off.... yet. I appreciate all your help guys.

No Problem

i bought a diesel audio 2.2 fared capacitor used off of ebay and it does not work that great. It still dims my lights when i have my system up.

I have 4 gauge wire, pdx1000.1 alpine mono, and 2 alpine type r's.
    My on changing thermostat

2001 Galant ES
    1972 Datsun 510
    1994 Kawasaki zx9r

Heated Heavy
    I finally got the problem solved it was a faulty ground wire. Got that fixed then the power fuse was only 100a so I got a circuit breaker instead much better.

if you are using that much power i suggest doing a big 3 upgrade, get a good deep cycle battery, if you are using 4 ga. wire i would use 0ga. if you look around you can get it cheap check out the mitec factory outlet, the cap will only do so much for you, always a secind battery and a isolator. or just call dominic iraggi.

Also be careful. Since you have not upgraded any of you interior speakers you could also be putting strain on your deck/radio.