The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: car dies out.

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19

car dies out.

ok. my car will just die out on me while im driving. it could be at low idle or just cruising. it did it once when iu shifted to second and once while i was in 4th doing 50. it wouldnt hesitate or anything just dead. it would start right bac up. i tested battery alternator and everything is fine. is it possible that it could be the maf

sounds like that sensor you talking about,
    cel on?

nope. no light

it have that happen to me one time on a different car, but the cel was on
    when it dies, and it just rpm goes to 0? and does nothing? no special feeling first? like stutter or jumping rpm?

no the rpm just drops and then i slam on da clutch and re start it and keep going haha

how long has this happen for?
    could be drop in the fuel pressure. like you run out of gas

check that with the gauge, i am not sure how you check that MAS, but just checking

it just started today. wen i get to work ill check the fuel pressure.

TGC Regular
    Also check you batt ground wire... it could have a shot and that will cause it to just randomly die

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Check your grounds..thats a good suggestion.

When was the last time you replaced your fuel filter?

It could be your MAF also..if you can swap for a known working one that could be a quick easy diag step. You can also use a MAF from a 2g turbo Eclipse/Talon since they are the same as the 7g Galant

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

ok so heres the new update. it now happens wen my car gets hot. everytime i shift into second it will die, or grind, it i go first to third it only dies sometimes. wen the cars warm its fine and no grinding. so now i thinks its possibly somethinig with the trans.

wen the cars cold its not. i put warm sry. but wen i first start it up its fine only wen i gets warm it starts dieing and grinding.

check fluid?

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    im guessing you driving an automatic right? Ya check your fluid and hoses and last but not least the tranny cooler

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

no its stick. i replaced all the fluid yesterday and i haven had the problem so i guess that was it. was kinda weird

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    try changing your gear oil or maybe adding gear oil.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Yea thats wat i did i changed all the gear oil. Now the problem of the grinding stopped. But it still dies out so now im thinking mass air flow.

you should check your oil level. my car does that when its low on oil.

ive had a similar problem in the past. it would die out start back up. then it just completly died on me, it ended up being the coil inside the distributor. i replaced the whole thing and ive been good ever since. so its a possibility that its that.
    98 Galant ES
    Current Mods - To many to mention here.
    Future Plans - 4G63T swap and 5 speed swap
    Big Thanks To YOU ALL for all the help you provide

I've had this problem twice....both times it turned out to be a loose hot wire slapping against the frame or ground somewhere as the car vibrated....It was well worth paying the diagnostic fee for this since who the hell wants to look for a friggin bare wire that could be anywhere?