The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2001 Galant Overheats

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

2001 Galant Overheats

My 2001 galant overheats when I am idling. I have to turn the A/C to bring the temp gauge down, which means the fans are ok. Any ideas?

It might be the water pump. Do you hear anything that sounds funny?
    Flipininja

how are your coolant levels/condition?

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Make sure it ain't leaking by the radiator. GmoEm2's Civic does the same thing at idle, but thats because he is losing coolant little by little everyday.

If it's the waterpump or thermostat you wouldn't be able to drive it without overheating. It's either one of the hoses or the radiator thats is leaking or not have adequate fluid.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    If it's the waterpump or thermostat you wouldn't be able to drive it without overheating. It's either one of the hoses or the radiator thats is leaking or not have adequate fluid.
    Not entirely true. Water pump, yeah you're right. You wouldn't be able to go far without overheating. But if its a bad thermostat, you can still drive the car. Mine was only partially opening when mine went bad. The car would get hotter at idle, but when I was moving I had no overheating issues.

So check your coolant levels (radiator and overflow reservoir), and then check your thermostat.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia View Post
    Not entirely true. Water pump, yeah you're right. You wouldn't be able to go far without overheating. But if its a bad thermostat, you can still drive the car. Mine was only partially opening when mine went bad. The car would get hotter at idle, but when I was moving I had no overheating issues.

So check your coolant levels (radiator and overflow reservoir), and then check your thermostat.
    I guess I shouldve worded it better, I meant a thermostat that is completely broken as in doesnt open whatsoever.

I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Honestly mine has done this for two years or more, everything has been changed and flushed. For what ever reason the temp climbs at idle and only then. I've just learned to live with it. Just took it down to SC and all was fine.

Its probably just on of those Mitsu things.
    Respect the woman’s car, and she’ll respect you.

My temp never rises past a few lines under half. it's not one of those Mitsu things. Maybe your gauge is faulty?

Is the radiator fan turning on not just the AC fan?

try replacing the engine coolant temp sensor (ECT)

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    I guess I shouldve worded it better, I meant a thermostat that is completely broken as in doesnt open whatsoever.
    Yeah, that would be a very bad thing. :)

Quote Originally Posted by G-spot View Post
    try replacing the engine coolant temp sensor (ECT)
    That should throw a CEL if the computer wasn't receiving a signal.

Honestly mine has done this for two years or more, everything has been changed and flushed. For what ever reason the temp climbs at idle and only then. I've just learned to live with it. Just took it down to SC and all was fine.
    No, you shouldn't just live with it, and you shouldn't post advice to just deal with it. Do you know the damage that can be caused by overheating? There's a reason why there is a whole cooling systems on engines.

Have you checked/replaced the thermostat, radiator and cap, water pump, hoses (and power flushed the lines), checked your gauge cluster is operating correctly, and every sensor associated with the cooling system? There is a reason why a car overheats. Its not something you just live with.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

My 2001 galant does the same thing. Only overheats while in idle. If I am stuck in traffic, I just shift it into neutral and press the gas to up the rpm, which helps.

Also problem goes away when I flush the coolant. And always seem to reappear every 6-9 months.

Any input would help. I think it is a coolant issue. Perhaps a leak?

i would go ahead and see if you have any leaks. If you don't have any i would change the thermostat and if the problem still persists then i would go ahead and change the water pump. Good luck man hope that problem goes away

i had this problem but a flush fixed it

While on the subject of Cooling System, can anyone recommend a good replacement water pump? Either aftermarket or OEM performance oriented pump from another Mitsubishi vehicle (EVO, 300GT etc.) that may interchange without fitment issues. Thank you in advance.