The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Front end is toooo LOW

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19
    Experienced TGC Member

Front end is toooo LOW

Sup my peoples,

Some of you know I just installed the H&R Race set springs on my car. Well the back looks good but I'm a little ferturbed about the front, it's way to low I'm thinking. It was supposed to drop the front 2" but I feel it's way more than that. My tires are actually tucked into the fender and I have a serious case of negative camber going on. I set it back up (which is hard to do now that my jack doesn't even fit under the car :shock: ) and I can't really see anthing that looks odd.
    The springs were labeled front and back so I am sure they are on right, but damn that is low... damn low. My tires hit the fender when I turn sharply, I know that can't be good.

Is there any way I can get like a 1/4 of an inch out of my suspension to raise it just a little? Any ideas?
    I was thinking of putting my coil over perch on there and then setting the spring on that, only thing is the perch is flat and the spring is made to sit on the strut.

It looks cool as hell, but it isn't too practical to drive... I don't think a 2 inch drop would make your tires tuck..
    [b]<span style='color:blue'>Wes</span>
    The true path to enlightenment is Here
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

[b]<span style='color:darkred'>ClubTGC Shidoshi-Kai Fellowship</span>

jreezee
    Hmmmmmm :shock: that sounds pretty bad, i dont think u popped your struts, aint they aftermarket

Experienced TGC Member
    They're all AGX's and I checked them before I installed the springs just in case my crappy ass coil overs busted one.
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

Senior TGC Member
    Ride height is determined almost entirely by the spring, unless your struts/shocks are taller than stock in which case the only direction to go is up. You went down...so I'm thinking the culprit is the springs themselves. I dunno, you could always see if you could tack on something on top of the spring perches...but that'd probably be unsafe.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

Andoy

Low Drop

This is the race set you installed, right? Mostly people are complaining that their springs don't lower the car enough. How's the ride?

Wait, I'm really confused. You have an 8G, right? I just did a search and there are no H&R Race springs for the 8G Galant or 3G Eclipse. Only the Sport springs, which drop 1.4" in front and 1.3" in the rear. The only thing I could find were Race springs for the 2G FWD Eclipses, which drop 2" in front and 1.75" in the rear. Now, if you are using the Race springs from a 2G Eclipse, then that is probably your problem. Our Galants are so much heavier than them, especially the V6's. So, the drop would be alot more.

yeah I ordered a set of H&R springs and the drop isn't that low. CLoser to 1.5
    C.J. Cameron
    RETIRED TUNER!!!!

"Keeping it Simple"

Senior TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danger DANJ
    You have an 8G, right?
    If I remember correctly, 2True owns the 7g, not the 8g. At least that's what I think he said it was when I sold him the S-AFC.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

Experienced TGC Member
    That's right Pete, I own a 7g. I figured you knew that David? :?

Anywayz, I think I may have found the culprit... on the 7g, the front struts fit into a fork that is attached to the axle assembly. Well for the fork to hold the strut in place you have to tighten downa bolt on it. One of those bolts is stripped now so my strut has sunken through the fork and almost to the axle, I am attempting to find a way to replace the stripped bolt and tighten it back up. I hope that is what's going on, because having to do my suspension all over again just isn't in the gameplan this week :x

I'll let ya'll know. Even with this happening, the ride is pretty damn good...
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

Senior TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2True
    That's right Pete, I own a 7g. I figured you knew that David? :?
    Who loves ya baby Now you know who your real friends are :laughing: Just kidding, of course...don't wanna incur the wrath of Dave

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Parhelia
    Who loves ya baby Now you know who your real friends are :laughing: Just kidding, of course...don't wanna incur the wrath of Dave
    Yes... I don't want the Wrath of Dave either

I think what I stated before fixed it, I had to replace the bolt with some Home Depot nuts and bolts. All I can do now is hope it stays... :?
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

Wes, another solution is to put a spring rubber in. Auto parts stores sell them and you basically just force it in between the coil on your springs. It'll provide a little bit of extra lift and may be just what you need. It's a cheap fix and may supplement that bolt you replaced.

I've got the H&R sports on my 8G, and noticed that as the springs settled, my drop was more than the 1.2" advertised.

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Well, the fact that you don't have a pic of your car in your sig or a link to some pics and the fact that everyone keeps changing their names and stuff, confused me. :oops: The important thing is that you seem to have fixed the problem.

What do you guys know about my wrath? I'm a nice guy...most of the time.

Experienced TGC Member
    Chip: Thanks buddy, I will head down to NAPA and get them all confused about import enthusiasm.. I'll check it out.

Dave: Calm down! We don't want another incident do we?? J/K You're right about the car pics... I need some.
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

So what happened man?? Did they know what I was trying to describe? Did it help?

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Experienced TGC Member
    HAHA Chip, this is funny right here. I went down there and they do have them.... for FORDS! I tell ya man, Alaska :?

But my ghetto way of tightening fown the front struts to sit higher than they should is working out so far. They have not moved an inch yet so I am thinking they are good.

Lemme go get some pics so you can see the new Low-Low-ness...
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

Experienced TGC Member
    OK.. got some here. Just remember that the front was almost an inch LOWER when I posted this topic. It's all good now

This Front fender gap now...

And here's the front with my finger in it... (I can't fit a finger in it, that's the point)

Effect overall is...
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

That's a nice drop. From the looks of the background in the pics, you're driving on rocks. That must feel really smooth?

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danger DANJ)</div><div class='quotemain'>That's a nice drop. From the looks of the background in the pics, you're driving on rocks. That must feel really smooth? </div>

What can I say David... "<span style='font-size:25pt;line-height:100%'>I Love Alaska!!</span>" :laughing:
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g