The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oil drain plug TOO tight

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8
    biga01

Oil drain plug TOO tight

Hey everyone, I was just wondering, under normal circumstances, shouldn't I be able to get my oil drain plug loose using a regular wrench? This is the first time trying to change my oil, I have everything I need and I'm ready to go I just can't get the freakin plug out. At first I used a ratchet and realized that was a joke so I got a box end wrench and had some more force goin there - I was using all of the energy God gave me and more, but it wouldn't budge. :x I heard some nice "creaking" sounds around the pan, and also in my back I guess that saves a trip to the chiropractor. But the bolt didn't move but luckily the wrench didn't slip on it either. Is there a way I can get it loose yet? Do I need to yell at the people who changed my oil last?
    Thanks for the input.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    You might just have to, either that or go out and buy a rachet or some sort of power tool. lol

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

the guys that changed it last probably used an air gun or something. what i usualyl do is slip a pipe over the end of my ratchet making my ratchet longer and that gives me enough power to get the thing loose. a breaker bar would do the same thing...

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Moosh
    I agree with the pipe idea, always works for me.

:twisted: Creeking sounds like your going the wrong way, use a half inch drive breaker bar and a 17mm socket :twisted:

lefty loosey / :twisted: righty tighty

biga01
    I will try the pipe. When I was busting my brains out and I heard the creaking I was afraid I was just tightening it more... but I went over it again and again in my head and I was going in the right direction. Hopefully I'll get it off with a little help from a pipe or breaker bar.
    Thanks.

Experienced TGC Member
    Be careful! My drain plug is almost perfectly round now, mostly from the bastards at Jiffy Lube and their air guns, but also from me putting it on too tightly and trying so hard to get it to budge.

Just to plant that in your head.
    [b]<span style='color:blue'>Wes</span>
    The true path to enlightenment is Here
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

[b]<span style='color:darkred'>ClubTGC Shidoshi-Kai Fellowship</span>