The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Seafoam for 2003 Galant 4cyl.

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

Seafoam for 2003 Galant 4cyl.

Hey guys,

I'm going to be helping my friend seafoam his 2003 galant tomorrow, and I was just wondering if there was a certain hose I should use to suck up the seafoam. I know it's basically any hose that leads to the throttle body (I seafoam my 2004 srt-4 all the time), but I just wanted to know if there was a certain hose you guys use. The last thing I would want to do is mess up my friends car, lol.

Thanks.

The PCV valve is the easiest spot to use. There's a lot of differing opinions on how effective/dangerous seafoam is. I've used it with no problems, but can't say I noticed any improvements either. Chances are you're going to throw an SES light too, so be ready for that.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    I wouldn't use that crap but it's not my ride.

Quote Originally Posted by RAZ_76 View Post
    I wouldn't use that crap but it's not my ride.

I've noticed on this website a lot of people don't like seafoam and I'm not sure why. I've been using seafoam for years and we also use it at work (I'm a mechanic). I've seen only positive benefits on all cars I've done it on. There is nothing bad about it. It will not foul your plugs.

Seafoam is one of the most important things to do to keep your car running like new, but the problem is not many people know what it is and/or know what it does. It will not damage anything in the engine at all. If something messes up after you seafoam (like plugs), then that means they were ready to be changed in the first place.

Since I've done this on many cars I know how to use seafoam, but I was to be especially careful that I put it in the correct (or most common) hose for this car because it's my buddies car.

PCV is a good line to use, since it draws its source from all 4 runners(at least on the all the cast aluminum manifolds)

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

you can try alternating the vacuum lines to ensure that seafoam hits other parts of the engine to get a thorough cleaning.

is there something safer and fail proof then seafoam??? because i wanna do it to my car but hesitant since many people dissaprove of it
    wise up or stand down

Experienced TGC Member
    Pvc line would be easyest to use. Btw I use deep creek. It is seafoam in a spray can. Much easer to use imo. Btw it is good to use this to clean up the intake track. Have any of you took of a intake mani and saw how much carbon buildup you get in there because of the egr system? I do this once a year in all my cars.
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    I use the hose coming from the brake booster. Its closests to cylinder #1 and in a area where most carbon buildup is at in the intake manifold. I have a special tool I got from Toyota for induction cleaning services though.

I would suggest though replacing your spark plugs afterwards...sometimes they tend to foul after seafoaming.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Another seafoam tip would be to use a slow drip method. this way you get an more even, deeper cleaning. If you dump too much in at once, the engine will shutter and stall.

Quote Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
    Another seafoam tip would be to use a slow drip method. this way you get an more even, deeper cleaning. If you dump too much in at once, the engine will shutter and stall.
    Don't you need an adapter kit for the slow drip method? I agree that's the best way, but need the adapter to do it right.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

if you dont have the adapter that either pinches the line or looks like a cone with a valve, you can manually pinch the hose by hand and feed it. it is less scientific but works the same.

Never used it, never see a need to use it.

I used it. Put a little bit of seafoam in a small container and used the pcv vacuum. I just held it away from the container and let it slowly suck some up without stalling. After the whole process was done I changed my oil and my lifter tick was muted...atleast for now. That was the only reason I tried the stuff.