The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Question about relocating the coolant overflow

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Question about relocating the coolant overflow

Is there any reason that I shouldn't do this? I took my washer fluid out a while back, and was thinking I could relocate my coolant reservoir to directly underneath where it currently is, where the washer fluid used to be. I made a bracket, and mounted it under there fine, and the lid comes through the hole left open from removing the washer fluid bottle, so it's still accessible. What I'm wondering is if putting it lower will create problems, or if there is any other reason this is bad. What do you guys think?
    })({ Heather })({

- "If you never take risks, you'll have a wasted soul."

Check to make sure your radiator is full then let some out and see if it takes from the overflow. Chances are it wont hurt. My overflow has a leak and is constantly empty, but no issues :)

I am not speaking from experience, but like I said if you test it and it works then it should be fine. I am sure someone on here has experience.

I know some dsms have done something similar as well to accommodate IC piping
    Last edited by 03-Galant-ES; 03-20-2010 at 02:02 PM

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    on club3G there's a tutorial for doing this in the 3G (obviously doesn't really apply to the Galant since the front rad support and stuff is different), but I suspect a bunch of those guys are doing this to clean up their engine bays, then it wouldn't hurt us either.

Yeah, I saw that on club3g, which is what made me think it was probably ok. It does clean up the bay a bit, which is why I wanted to do it. If it does cause problems, I'll just buy a nice looking aftermarket one and put it back up in the bay, just hoping not to have to spend that right now. If I do have to go that route, anyone know any nice aftermarket coolant reservoirs?
    })({ Heather })({

If you had enough coolant in the system the reservoir could be in the trunk. Though, I would keep the coolant bottle ABOVE and in the engine bay. Keep it protected from debris from underneath. Would kind of suck to move it to clean up the engine bay only to scrap it on something, or have a rock or other debris puncture it while driving.

That was my other fear, that putting it there could allow it to get damaged, but I thought about the fact that the washer fluid was down there for 7 years and never got damaged.
    })({ Heather })({

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Everyone is overlooking one major flaw in this plan. I guess its just the way I think about pros and cons. What happens if the system overflows and dumps out? Its dumping right onto the road, right in front of your tire. At least on the stock location if it dumps out its going more under the center of the car than under the tire.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS