The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Strange loss of control.

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Strange loss of control.

Now I know I should be looking under search but my laptop only freezes when I type something on the browser, all 3 do it, but anyway not my point.

My point is that today I lost a bit of control over my tires, felt like sliding or they just locked up because of slippery NJ roads being all crappy as hell (We're repairing them my arse) now my main problem is not the fact that I really slipped, I mean tired are old winter tires about 2 years exactly but this time I felt as if my left front wheel was gonna literally pop off my car as I held the steering wheel (Both hands because I was kinda panicking) and I felt as if I had no control over the wheels at all, like if I turned at a legal speed to turn 25 on most they wouldve probably just all over the place, any ideas?

Edit: My tires slip on these crappy roads as much as my dads new '10 Outlander does so I don't think it's really the tires.

Look under your car and check if your axle boots are busted and leaking grease all over. I felt a lot more play on my steering wheel when they were gone. Also check your lug nuts and see if they are tight all round.

Alright just checked the under, looked up what an axle boot is (lol) but no, they in quite good condition actually. Eveything else is crap though, you know comes with age. But I did find something interesting, that long pole which has a spring ish thing that connects to both wheels I don't what's it called, the steer pole? As I said, I apologize about my mechanical stupidity. But on the right side it has a rip, showing the coil/whatever it is.

Edit: Don't know if it's too relevant but my left side wheel is definitley not at the optimal PSI, right one seems fine. Would this contribute to the problem? Now I am starting to think it's ripped. Not many people like me in this apartment complex, tire slashers?
    Last edited by Davidline; 10-12-2010 at 11:27 AM

TGC Regular
    Check your bushings, get an alignment done.. Its sounds like your rack and pinion might be going.. Which is what you say is your steering pole.. LOL also check your powersteering fuild.. and maybe flush the pump.. But it sounds to me like your Rack and pinion might be going...

So all in all, I might be spending 200$ for this...god damn, and I had only a month left of saving so I can officially buy this car from my parents. How long do you think the rack and pinion might last at this point? I already felt the need for an allignment since almost half a year ago since it never drives straight if I didn't have full control of it.

Edit: For poor english.

TGC Regular
    A new rack and pinion I think would cost around 300.. Dont hold me to it I am just throwing a ballpark number out there. If you are strapped for cash you could try and find a local junk yard adn get one there to tide you over for a while...

get it fixed ASAP. if your steering fails you will get into an accident.

Alright seriously wtf, a day after I got complained at by some senile people living in my apartment complex all these problems start. I'm really thinking sabotage here. When I just started my car to heat it up while reading, gave it good 10 min's to sit idle, then turned off and turned back on and while idle down was smooth and engine felt smooth I got a big puff of some white smoke coming out, smelled like burned oil combined with crap, it was white btw, something with the cylinders failing now?

And the complaint didn't even make sense, so if you think I was speeding, actually what happened is because of a small ramp that joins the road and the complex there's a small bump that always accumulates water, and EVERYONE slips on it driving 25 on the corner.

But as much as I'd like to stay safe, I am not going to last long mentally if I don't get that other car so I can buy this one off of them, so at most I'll have it checked out by going to some mechanic other than pepboys (Never ever ever going there again)