The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: uhhhh timing belt (i think)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 36 of 36
    TGC Regular
    If its your DD it would be better and more time efficient to just replace the belt..

well im almost positive there is internal damage if i replace the belt abd it didnt work i would be looking at replacing the engine, so i decided to eliminate a step.

but that could change if i find there is no valve damage i just dont know hot to check that without taking off the head or replacing the belt... so ill be searching for a new engine while i tear it apart until i find out for sure about the valves.
    2002 5spd swapped
    under construction.....

im pretty sure a compression test will let you know if theres valve damage.
    4g64 dohc turbo 5-speed
    gt30r @20psi stock block,mbc
    2.5" tbe
    evo 8 ecu and maf
    large fmic w/ cx racing intercooler pipes
    wrx injectors @ 100psi fuel pressure

well you have the same problem has my brothers eclipse ok open the oil and look inside we did a compression test nothing found out one piston was broken all apart

Quote Originally Posted by reiketsutsukigami View Post
    im pretty sure a compression test will let you know if theres valve damage.
    it is to my understanding (may be wrong) that the timing belt must be in working order to do a valid compression test.

Quote Originally Posted by warren View Post
    well you have the same problem has my brothers eclipse ok open the oil and look inside we did a compression test nothing found out one piston was broken all apart
    Are you saying drain the oil and look for metal or take off the oil pan?
    2002 5spd swapped
    under construction.....

yes sir we took the eclipse motor apart and some piston are broken

TGC Regular
    Listen man, This will be the most simple and cheapest way to figure this out.. I skipped mt T belt and I had no internal damage at all.. So what you do is order a new timing belt.. Put it on and make sure that you have it timmed correctly and then run a compression test.. When you get a JY motor you are running a risk of getting a motor that is going to go bad anyway.. Also you will need to replace the T belt on that motor also. So if you get it now to trty and save the motor you have and it ends up being damaged atleast you have a new T belt for the JY motor..

Quote Originally Posted by warren View Post
    yes sir we took the eclipse motor apart and some piston are broken
    im gonna change the oil anyway so i guess i could take a look and see

Quote Originally Posted by skrap View Post
    Listen man, This will be the most simple and cheapest way to figure this out.. I skipped mt T belt and I had no internal damage at all.. So what you do is order a new timing belt.. Put it on and make sure that you have it timmed correctly and then run a compression test.. When you get a JY motor you are running a risk of getting a motor that is going to go bad anyway.. Also you will need to replace the T belt on that motor also. So if you get it now to trty and save the motor you have and it ends up being damaged atleast you have a new T belt for the JY motor..
    makes sense and i understand what your saying so that may be what ill do to make sure idk why but for some reason i kept thinking changing everything like waterpump, tensioners, etc. but i could in fact just throw the belt itself on to see if there is internal damage. ill do this this weekend.
    2002 5spd swapped
    under construction.....

TGC Regular
    Just be carful and make sure it is correctly timmed.. To have an experienced member by you? If so you might want to see if they can drop over and make sure its timmed right.. Goodluck.. Pm me if you need any thing..

will do thanks for the help
    2002 5spd swapped
    under construction.....

checked everything i could and it seems im looking at a new engine or rebuild but money is really tight due to some current unfortunate events and ive been thinking about selling, this is a last resort though i dont want to sell my baby. but unless i can have it fixed sooner than later thats what ill have to do. any opinions should i sell and just buy another one later or should i go ahead and scrap the money and try to rebuild myself. it would be my first time rebuilding a motor but i honestly think i can if i had help. anything you guys could tell me im appreciative.
    2002 5spd swapped
    under construction.....

so what did happen

the valves were bent. got no compression on 2 cyl
    2002 5spd swapped
    under construction.....

same exact story happened to me last nit . my mechanic came over and checked it,,timing belt slipped and i had the car towed this morning to see if the engine is any good

yea it happens but i had planned on replacing mine the next weekend... if it just slipped you may be ok
    2002 5spd swapped
    under construction.....

replacing what ?? the whole engine ?? no need for that. my belt was losing teeth slowly and it ended up going out while driving, i had all 8 valve on the same side ( intake or exhaust im not sure ) bent so i sent it out to the machine shop and got all 8 replaced and other 8 cut and got a timing belt and head gasket and new bolts

machine shop cost me $230 and the rest of the parts arent that much

so unless u have damage on your pistons i dont see a need to replace the motor
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12