The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Tiptronic Tranny

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Icon5 Tiptronic Tranny

I want to put tiptronic in my car but I been searching and searching but no info....Porsche and VW keeps popping out.I know the galant from overseas has tiptronic but not u.s version ones.

I just want to have best of both worlds you know.Anybody out their got any info on tiptronic please post it up.

Experienced TGC Member
    Will require 3rd Gen Eclipse Trans, ECU, wiring harness, or you re-qire it all yourself.

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

the 3rd gen trans has tiptronic ?

Ok found the info needed from spd

we discussed this years ago. the 8G auto to 3G sportronic swap is useless as the 3G sportronic is pretty much a gimmick since it does not truly allow you to select gears (like a manual does). for instance you are locked out from downshifting into 1st gear above 25mph even though 1st gear runs to 45mph before redline. the sporttronic is controlled by the ECU just like our auto is; the only difference is that on the sportronic the lever can be "bumped" to change gears and then it returns to center... but the transmission would behave exactly the same as what you already have in the car. so since there is no advantage to having the 3G triptronic in regards to control, i would rather have the auto in the 8G as i can "feel" with my hand what gear i am locked into by the lever's position without having to look (like a manual). with a sportronic you need to have a display in the cluster to tell you what gear you are in as the shifter always returns to the same position after you change gears.

since 2nd gear runs all the way to 80mph, you don't even need to shift the auto much during performance driving (just put the lever in "2" then to "3" if u are accelerating to over 80mph (then "4" if you are accelerating to over 110mph) then back to "3" when ou slow to less than 110mph and "2" when you go back under 80mph). now if the sportronic let you drop into the sweet spot of the powerband of 1st gear from 25mph-45mph, it might be useful, but it doesn't, so it's not.

I remember that thread!

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk

sportronic is the lazy man's 5 speed