The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Proper way of cleaning surface of Block?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 27 of 27
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    Most scotch brite your going to find at a grocery store is meant for cleaning ovens, pots and pans and will have some sort of cleaner on it or be too abrasive. Typically you can find automotive grade scotch brite pads at advance auto in the area where they have the bondo, spray paint and sand paper.

Just use the cheapest crap oil because your going to end up draining it about 5 minutes after you start the car back up for the first time. You can switch to full synthetic if you want, but regular oil will work perfectly fine, just use a good brand.
    Thanks man. Tomorrow I was going to get some from the grocery store lol. I am going to look at advances site tonight for the scotch brite pad and get it at the same time as the oil because right now or atleast yesterday you could get $40 off $100 or more order. It requires a coupon code, only one works with motor oil. So yeah i hear ya on the cheap oil My regular oil is Castrol but I didn't want to use it for a quick run. So the cheapest advance has is the Havoline oil change or buying gallon's of advance oil with a coupon with some other things on the purchase of $100 or more with a coupon for $40 off. IF anyone doesn't know the code and would like I will share it via PM. Thanks again.

Well what do yall think about the block? I forgot to take a before picture but it was pretty bad. The stuff I have been removing is the black stuff. I may still be able to remove a little more on the right side/

After I scrape some, I would vacuum it up. And I also used carb cleaner too and that helped out.

Im still wondering which scotch brite pad grade/brand to get from the autoparts store to finish up if needed.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CHoQ8wIwBw#

that is what i used, looks like it is comeing along great. Though when you get the head back i would put the intake manfiodl on with the head off it is soo much eaiser to torqure down. though i have big hands its a pain for me to get back there

Quote Originally Posted by mrg7243 View Post
    http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CHoQ8wIwBw#

that is what i used, looks like it is comeing along great. Though when you get the head back i would put the intake manfiodl on with the head off it is soo much eaiser to torqure down. though i have big hands its a pain for me to get back there
    Does this look like what you have? I went to Amazon and viewed a bigger picture of the pad and it seems to look just like it. Is light duty and Ultra Fine pads the same?

Its the only thing I could find at the time since I didnt know what to get and this was available at oriellys for about $2 for one pad. It says "Scotch-Brite Ultra Fine Type S"

I hope it is coming along good. Im now stuck where the old gasket stained the block. When you cleaned yours, did you remove the stain? Im assuming the pad removed it when you was using it.

But I hear ya on the intake. When I was unbolting it, it was a real tight fit but I was able to get a 3/8 ratchet back there and unbolt it. When I picked up the pad , I also picked up a 3/8 torque wrench, the same size as the ratchet I used to remove it. So I will see how that goes along. I believe it will work out but as you can see from the picture I havent even cleaned the intake yet but I will.

I used three different types(but i am anal about that stuff) i started with the heavy green( i got it at the supermarket) then the medium brown(i had one laying around i have seen them in the dishwashing section of the supermarket also) then i went to a fine like what you have. You could start with a fine but you are going to be scrubbing for some time. Let me see if i can dig up some picts when i did mine, but i belive i got rid of most of the stain.

For the intake just spray some carb cleaner up the runner and take a paper towl or shop rag and clean it till you see fit.

This is the only two pictures i have i belive this was around halfway through, but from what i can remeber i had my pratty stain free cept for like 2 spots.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12