The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Car Whistles Like A turbo But It Has no Turbo!!! Manybrews!!

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11
    Moosh

Car Whistles Like A turbo But It Has no Turbo!!! Manybrews!!

Hey guys. You know what kind of car I have. 98 Galant ES. Anyway, yesterday I started driving it home from school and ever since then it would have a slight whistle that would increase and decrease in loudness in concert with the throttle being increased or decreased. It is a lot louder when the FAN for the cabin is on. At first I thought it was the A/C that caused it but it seems to happen even when the A/C is off. Someone I know from the 4G64 group said that he thinks it is the A/C clutch failing. What do you guys thing? Thanks.

IllestGalant
    i had the a/c compressor clutch fail and the noise was typically what you said. sorry to say the only way to test it is to remove the belt for the a/c compressor and test drive. if it is gone, you know it is the compressor. if it is still there, remove the alternator belt and test drive, if it is still there, remove the power steering belt and test drive, if it is still there, then it is engine or transmission :cry:

JoshMan95

a reply

check your belts. my car is doing the same thing right now and i think it is either the belts or some kind of vaccum line. Usually when the belt needs repalced it wares away peice by peice sometimes making that noise.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IllestGalant)</div><div class='quotemain'> if it is still there, remove the alternator belt and test drive :cry:</div>

Highly not recommended. Your alternator belt is what keeps the alternator charging your battery, your car would run off the battery for minutes before it dies without charge.

Sometimes it can be an intake that makes a noise like a crickit.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    ditto

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

I have a 97 galant and it does the same noise when I step on the gas, It began making the noise when I bought the intake and adjusted the air and fuel mixture....
    -97 GALANT ES
    -RPM METER By AUTO METER
    -CUSTOM INTAKE
    -RS MUFFLER
    -17' KATANA WHEELS
    -CUSTOM GRILL

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse
    Quote Originally Posted by IllestGalant
    if it is still there, remove the alternator belt and test drive :cry:

Highly not recommended. Your alternator belt is what keeps the alternator charging your battery, your car would run off the battery for minutes before it dies without charge.

Sometimes it can be an intake that makes a noise like a crickit.
    actually, it would probably run for several hours before dying.
    HOWEVER... it also spins your water pump. Without that, youll only get about 5 to 10 minutes of running before you begin to overheat.

unfortunatly, im going to need more information before i could even BEGIN to guess what the noise could be.
    as much data as you can provide, no matter how unimportant it may seem.

IS THE NOISE LIKE A PSSSSST... SOUND OR A ZZZZZZZZZ, LIKE WHEN THE STEREO IS GROUNDED WRONG......ONE MORE THING DO YOURE BATTERY AND BRAKE WARNING LIGHT DIMM ON AND OFF, IF THEY DO AND A ZZZZZZZZ SOUND IS HEARD YOURE ALTERNATOR IS NO GOOD
    -97 GALANT ES
    -RPM METER By AUTO METER
    -CUSTOM INTAKE
    -RS MUFFLER
    -17' KATANA WHEELS
    -CUSTOM GRILL

Moosh
    The sound went away after a couple of days. It was wierd. Oh well, thanks anyway guys.

stryker204
    check this out......my car was doing the same thing......in increase and decrease of acceleration it would also make the sound as increasing and decreasing......anyway.....was pretty cool.....and knew what it was .....everyone at school would not even race me because of the sound....it was so loud......anyway......i was driving down the road the other day and the a/c belt poped......low and behold my theory was right.....it was the compressor.....oh well......im to lazy to put a new belt on......so im a/c less right now......and i also recomend taking it off to free up some power if ur broke.....i kno it sounds "ricy" but if ur broke and need hp gains......there u go