The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Ignition Timing for 3.0 V6

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Ignition Timing for 3.0 V6

Has anyone set ignition timing (mechanical or vacuum advance) themselves (using timing light) for 3.0 V6? I have yet to do so with 2002 Galant ES-V6. I believe it to be 5 degrees BTDC. Interested if it was straight forward process or should I beware of obstacles. Thanks in advance for replies.

timing is controlled electronically via the ecu. Your best bet would be to download ecuflash and purchase a tactrix 2.0 cable.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

Experienced TGC Member
    My question is what do you have done to your car that requires any timing adjustment?

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

Thanks for your reply. Nothing special done however, would like to check timing marks with timing light. Has or hasn't anyone done this? Does the ECU control the mechanical advance and not the vacuum? I always set / checked timing in previous autos owned (chevy, ford) by attaching timing light to number one spark plug wire, loosening distributor and turning, until timing marks on pully line up with timing mark (5 BTDC) on timing tag.

Experienced TGC Member
    The only timing marks you need to check on this engine are the cam gear marks, and the reluctor wheel mark on the crankshaft. All three indicators should be lined up when #1 is at TDC.

As M-Rod said, the only way you can even adjust the ignition timing on this platform is with EcuFlash and the Tactrix cable. For a stock engine, there is really no point of messing with the ignition timing.

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

I understand. Thanks for replying and saving me from wasting my time. I do appreciate it!

My apologies for not inquiring in previous post however, what RPM should 02 Galant (3.0 V6) idle at in Drive? When looking at the tachometer guage, should the needle point to the second line before 1 in Drive? Does that line represent 500 or 700 RPM? Also, would moving the throttle body bracket (with throttle cable under hood) forward or back do anything for throttle response? I noticed when pulled back (more tension on cable) idle / RPM's increase when in Drive. Appears to keep throttle body open.
    Thank you in advace for comments.
    Last edited by GSpeed; 02-24-2011 at 06:22 AM