The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: question about the power windows auto switch

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18
    VIO

question about the power windows auto switch

does anyone know if you can replace all the window switches on the driver's door panel with the same auto roll down switch for the driver's window?

Re: question about the power windows auto switch

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VIO)</div><div class='quotemain'>does anyone know if you can replace all the window switches on the driver's door panel with the same auto roll down switch for the driver's window?</div>
    Wow man, that's a great idea. I'm surprised no one has ever mentioned it before. If they have, I've never seen it discussed here.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

VIO
    thanks. i thought of it the first time i rolled all my windows down right after i bought my 8g 2 weeks ago.

i think it was reelax or strahan that had that on their car. i know they sell modules that you can wire up to your windows to do that function. i've seen them in low rider magazines in the past. uhm if you do a search on google, you can find schematics on how to build it yourself if you are good at electronics and stuff.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

VIO
    well i have a certification in electrical engineering so i think i should be able to wire that up. i would prefer, if it is possible, to get the swtiches from some junked 8gs and just use those. do you know if anyone has attempted this? if no one has i'm just going to try that. if not i'll probably wire up that schematic and see how that works.

Faction

Re: question about the power windows auto switch

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VIO)</div><div class='quotemain'>does anyone know if you can replace all the window switches on the driver's door panel with the same auto roll down switch for the driver's window?</div>

i know of one auto maker that does this, nissan. my sis has this on her 02 pathfinder

maybe it was strahan w/ one touch roll down on all windows... all my windows are set to auto roll up on arming of the alarm (sunroof too) but only my drivers side window has the one touch roll down like stock. i don't know if that feature is controlled by the computer or simply by the switch. my auto roll up is controlled by the alarm and relays / timers.

SilverKnight
    hey VIO if you do get the schematics could you post a pic or a link to the pic of it because i would really like to do this to my G.

VIO
    yeah, i'll post the schematics. no problem. i'm going to try a couple of different things. first i'm going to try to replace each of the switches with the same type of switch as the driver's window switch and see if they will work. i'm not sure it it's actually the switch that controls the one touch roll down on the driver's side or not. i'll also try to wire up a circuit that will allow the one touch on the driver's windows switch to roll down all the windows at once. i should have that schematic in a couple of days. if i can't find it myself i'll design my own circuit to do the trick. one thing i am thinking about doing is using the window lock switch, not to lock the other switches from being used, but to turn that one touch and all windows rolled down circuit on and off since i find that windows lock switch to be useless. that way you have the option of using the driver's window switch to roll down all the windows automatically or just the driver's window automatically. how does that sound? opinions?

tim888tim
    That would be totally cool. Please keep us updated.

VIO
    i will. i'm going to call around to a few junk yards so that way i can see how everything is wired without having to take apart my door just to look at the wiring. if it's wired close to the way i believe it is, i think the mod should be fairly easy without too much cutting and splicing. hopefully i can figure out a way to wire it without the need for an external circuit but i might need to use an external relay in which case i'll have to figure out a place to mount it inside the door. i wish haynes made a book for the 8g but it won't be out until september. that would help me a lot. i know chilton has a book out but from what i understand it sucks.

Airbus A320
    Benz has this feature on some cars too. The C-class I test drove had this. It is a very nice feature. I hope someone figures out to do this cause I would love tp try it on my ride.

tim888tim
    I think that it is beginning to appear on all of the newer luxury cars because Lexus has it on all there vehicles.

VIO
    well as soon as i can find a junk yard with an 8g it will start appearing on our cars as well.

the IS300 have auto up and down functions for the front windows, I think making our 8Gs this way will be cool 8)

'00 Patriot Red GTZ --> JDM'ed... 5 Speed... ...

Dram3000

This is a mod that's been around for a while. I did this years ago to a car I had. In that case, it was just a matter of changing the switches. The only difference was the "auto" switch had a little clip type thing, that kept it engaged.

On most cars, the auto switch is a dual position switch. You can manually hold it down, or push it in and have it lock into auto mode. The auto mode is literally the same as you just holding your finger down on the button until the window is all the way down.

I'm not a wiring expert, but I don't see why there would need to be any special wiring, when a dual position switch can achieve the same thing.

Off the top of my head, I think a manufacturer would see it more cost effective, to add a little clip to a switch...versus run some unnecessary wiring and the potential of more problems overall. But I can be very wrong.

For anyone waiting around on an 8G to show up at the local junkyard, just to see how the controls are...just save the waiting game and footwork and spend 5 minutes taking your door panel off and just looking.

VIO
    dram3000, the mod i'm going to do takes that one step further. i'm going to make the driver's window switch roll down all the windows at once and i'm going to re-wire the window lock switch to be the on/off switch for this feature. meanine when the window lock switch is in the one position it will cause the driver's window switch to roll down or up all the windows at once and when the window lock switch is in the off position the driver's window switch will act normally. the reason i want the enitre assembly is so that i can play with the wiring and get everything squared away before i start cutting and splicing wires on my car. why mess up my stuff when i can spend $15 at a junk yard and have something i don't care about destoying to work out all the bugs on? that's just good engineering.

Dram3000

Yeah I agree, experimenting with scrapped parts would be smart. Be careful though, rolling all the windows up and down simultaneously, all the time, has to place excessive strain on the motor/s. Especially rolling them up.

I remember after a while on my old car, the windows no longer rolled up and down at the same rate. Let alone some cars power windows, without any mods, just burn out and lag on their own after a while anyways. You're an electrician, you know the motors for power windows aren't anything great.

If you do figure it all out though, as well as do it, all the power to you, literally. It's a cool little trick. Peace.