The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Damn smell again!!!

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14
    Airbus A320

Damn smell again!!!

My car was smelling like rotten eggs when I would give it gas. I took it too the Mitsu dealer and they said it was the cat. They replaced it under waranty and when I drove the car I smelled it again. My car died a couple of days ago and whe I had the battery tested, the battery started making that strong asss rotten egg smell. I replaced the battery and now the smell is back stronger than ever. Does anyone know what could be causing this smell?? One guy told me it could be the trans going out. I have noticed that when I take my foot off the gas it feels like the car shutters and slows down. I was told that this was the torque converter. Could this be the source of the smell?? Please help!!

Thanks

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Hmmmmmmmmm sometime rotten eggs smell comes from the cat but you said it was the battery. You might have to smell it and narrow it to its source.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

a rotten egg smell is NORMAL under heavy fuel conditions. Cold start, WOT driving, etc.

the cat gets overfueled, and cant convert all of it into what its suppost to. Sulfer is then produced.

try using a different brand of fuel. Use ONLY name brand fuel in the MINIMUM octane rating for your car (meaning if it doesnt specifically say use premium, do NOT use premium).

Airbus A320
    Thanks manybrews, but one thing I just noticed is even when Im just driving at normal speed and not really getting on the gas hard it smells. Yesterday I was cruising out on the highway at about 70 and all of a sudden the smell started and it got real strong. The other galants that I was rolling with at the time did not smell and they told me they could smell my car. Is that normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Airbus A320
    Thanks manybrews, but one thing I just noticed is even when Im just driving at normal speed and not really getting on the gas hard it smells. Yesterday I was cruising out on the highway at about 70 and all of a sudden the smell started and it got real strong. The other galants that I was rolling with at the time did not smell and they told me they could smell my car. Is that normal?
    not if youre just cruising.
    but even if you have a problem, its NOT from the catalytic converter. If in fact your smell is coming from the exhaust, you would then possibly have some type of rich running problem. However, your PCM will detect this shortly, and toss a "check engine" light for rich running.

are you using a name brand gas?

There is the possibility that its not coming from the exhaust, too... but a hard sulfer smell almost always originates at the catalytic converter.

Airbus A320
    I usually use Mobile 1 gas, Shell, or BP. When the car was new I never had this smell though. I just took it out to see if I could locate the smell and it started to smell just sitting at the stop light. I was not even giving it gas at all. I could also smell fuel. Like I said the Cat is only a week old, the battery is new, I dont know what it could be but its driving me crazy!

My99GTZ
    Got anyone mad at you? When we were kids we use to crack eggs over peoples vents on there hood..... :twisted:

Airbus A320
    lol nah its not that......I hope! Im taking it back to the dealer this week so I hope they can find out. Some people told me to take it for an emissions test and that should tell me whats the problem.

TWISTED II
    i had that smell too....i believe its your cat. i don't have one anymore, so when my car runs, i'll let you know if i smell it. haha, as for now...it'll give a good coverup if your on a date with a hot chic and you hafta rip ass. blame it on the cat hahaha

Airbus A320
    HAHA TwistedGTZ The first time I ever smelled it I blamed it on my Girl and she was mad as hell, then I realized it was my car. I took it in for an emissions test today and it past with flying colors but the smell is killing me!! I have tried everything. Im thinking it might be time to trade it in for something else.

VIO
    check the voltage while the car is running. i had this exact problem on a car a long time ago. turns out the alternator was pumping out WAY too much voltage and it was acutally boiling the acid in the battery. i had to replace the alternator and the battery and it never did it again.

Airbus A320
    Thanks VIO! Im gonna take it to a shop and have it tested to see if this could be the problem.

VIO
    no problem. let me know if that ends up being the problem. i had never heard of anything like that until it happened to me and i've never heard of anyone having that same problem since then.

Experienced TGC Member
    Damn that stinks...

...sorry, just thought it was appropriate time to throw that in their...

Well you can stop calling it the rotten egg smell, cause Im 99% sure its sulfur. Now all you have to do is find different places in your car that sulfur [or any such mix] can be created/found.

I have my money on VIO [not that their are too many choices, now that you car has passed the smog test and you check engine light not on]