The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 8g timing belt ?

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

8g timing belt ?

Snapped the timing belt on my 00 2.4L Galant while on the highway. I know its a toss up wether I have valve damage or not. Will probally get a new head online or something for it.

Is it worth trying to just put a new belt on or am I pretty much guaranteed to have valve damage?

Next question. Is it possiable to have damaged a piston, if so what are the odds.

Also where can I get replacement covers for timing belt. The upper one cracked when the belt broke

Thanks

To be honest i wouldnt even try putting a new timing belt on without at least taking the head off and inspecting it.You probably most likely will have bent valves and the pistons can get damaged from the valves hitting them.

I was at the same point as you, except I was coming to a stop when it died. I ended up having 8 bent intake valves, the pistons only had minor dents in them. If / when you pull the head you can check the pistons for any damage. I would take the head to a shop, they should be able to fix any damage that may of been caused. As for the covers I would visit a junkyard for those.

When you pull the head is also a good time to replace all of the hoses as well as the water pump.

If there are minor kicks in the pistons will i be ok or do I need to replace them. This is actually my winter car/beater so naturally i dont want to sink a ton of money into it

appreciate all the help. Im thinking before I order any parts etc Ill pull the head

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    As long as the pistons arent cracked, you will be ok. it is advised to smooth out any sharp edges on the tops of the pistons as they will create hot spots.

May as well pull the head and see what the damage is. If your lucky, you may have just bent some valves and the guides and pistons will be ok.
    7g for life!

never messed with valves before. is it easy to pull the valves and check the guides etc... i was thinking of just getting a new head off ebay or something

If I pick up a new head on ebay or something like that will any 4g64 head work or is there a specific one I need etc

an 8g galant head or a eclipse 4g64 head will work.nothing else would really work because the 8g is flipped around compared to the 7g.

here is a head for you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-03...item1e613c636f
    Last edited by galantlvr34; 04-17-2011 at 08:53 PM

Just curious how many miles were on your G.

Why don't you consider a DOHC head from 4G63T?

I agree with above that you definitely have to check the head, and the short block. And just a word, how many miles has the timing belt been running after last timing belt change?

125k miles bought car with 80k. So I assume it was changed around 60k. Got car tore down. Ordered new belts, pulleys, special tool to set tensioner, water pump, both upper and lower timing covers (were destroyed by belt) also had to order new reluctor ring and crankshaft position sensor.

My plan is to put together and see if/how it runs if there are issues then ill pull head if not ill consider myself lucky

My other reasoning for pulling the head when I did mine was just to do it, that way I shouldn't have to pull the head for a very, very long time afterwards. Or until I blow a piston ring.

New water pump, belts, and other misc parts are on and it runs like a top. No noise at all. Will do compression test tomorrow

Consider yourself lucky.

Btw, What brand of timing belt did you buy?
    1999 North Star White V6 8G
    2003 Yamaha R6
    2008 Lancer Evolution X

The Original FACTION from the BGR Days
    First Founder of TGC Florida 2002-2005