The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Piston damage

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Piston damage

Hello gUYS,

I am new to the forum and Galants. Recently purchased a 99 2.4 galant for my brother to drive to school. Paid $1200 for the car in running condition with 122,000 miles.
    Well the the power steering belt was off when I bought the car, my brother replaced belt not knowing the harmonic balancer was bad. This caused the alt belt to
    wear into the timing cover, and wrap around the timing belt. Obviously car jumped timed and bent the valves.

Questions:
    1) Is it worth repairing the car or count my loss? Interior is in decent shape but the paint job is faded. Car seemed to run fine before
    incident.

2) Will the valve marks affect the pistons?

3) Estimate to replace damaged valves.

There should be some markings where the valve hit the piston, but the piston itself should be fine.

you have to take the head off and see how many valves you have bent, and then make your estimate - a valve should cost between $10-20 plus all the work to do it.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

MKO,
    Thank you for the reply, you are correct there are markings where the valves hit the pistons. I have 6 bent valves I will call around for the best prices

I had to replace 5 valves the machine shop was only 175.00 to rebuild the head .

I would do a gasket job for everything while it is out plus all belts and water pump. Have a professional machine shop do a rebuild on the head. I just did everything listed after timing belt broke and took out 8 intake valves. I am at 2000 miles since then and counting.